Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Used the same location with the same results.
Rich,
The battery looks very small (unless a lot of it is hidden). WEhatbtype are you using?

- Daryl

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think I will wait until the engine/transmission is installed (February) to assess room and location. Probably go with the front - somewhere. The Breeze box suggests a Group 51 battery. What, in all your humble opinions, is the smallest (dimensional) battery one could get away with?

Thanks.

·
Snake Farmer
10,274 Posts
I don't think I could install a battery in the same place Rich has his. Already a pretty busy spot, with the heater, heater valve, wipers, and wire harness for the ECM.
Used to be a lot of builders mounting them off the X frame, in front of the engine. Is that not done any longer because of the MK4 design, or ?

·
Man Cave Master Craftsman
493 Posts
I think I will wait until the engine/transmission is installed (February) to assess room and location. Probably go with the front - somewhere. The Breeze box suggests a Group 51 battery. What, in all your humble opinions, is the smallest (dimensional) battery one could get away with?

Thanks.
If you are referring to what will fit upfront in a Breeze battery box, it's designed for a Group 51 lead acid or gel battery, on the other hand if you want to go smaller save a bunch of weight and still have a ton of cranking amps go with a Lithium Ion battery (Which is what I ended up doing) just be aware that they are very expensive.

Saul

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Rich,
The battery looks very small (unless a lot of it is hidden). WEhatbtype are you using?

- Daryl
This is the battery I have. Always starts without any trouble my 331, 10.5 compression. You don't need a truck battery to start these cars. The large high capacity batteries are needed when you have large amounts of accessories and high loads.
https://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc680mj-battery.html

·
Registered
728 Posts
I wanted a front mounted battery, mainly for NHRA requirements. Putting the battery in the trunk triggers a number off additional requirements like a battery cut off switch from behind and a sealed box. It was simpler just to keep it in the front. Not sure if other sanctioning bodies have similar requirements. I also used the breeze box with a group 51 battery.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Mine's under the trunk floor and haven't really had any issues with it there but if I had it to do over I think I'd put it up front. Mostly due to ease of access and the shorter wire runs.
Same here.

·
Registered
416 Posts
As I said before, mine is below the trunk in a box. As for capacity, it's a Napa battery. One of the compact models with 575 CCA. Plenty to crank over my the 5.0 even on cold days.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Speaking of batteries mine has been sitting unused trapped in the garage by a renovation for over 3 months. Battery is a trunk mounted Group 34 Optima Red Top from Amazon.

12-Volt, 800 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 10" x 6 7/8" x 7 13/16" tall, Weight: 37.9 pounds, SAE Post. C20 Capacity: 50 Ah. CCA: 800 Amp

Reserve capacity of 100 minutes for constant performance.

Was working on it today & decided to see if it would start. Turned the key, let it prime, hit start & it ran at the key turn.

Was really expecting to have to recover my charger from my son in law:laugh2:

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
In the trunk

Super clean, easy access due to smaller size, sealed, no problem

Attachments

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
You can always put in a battery shut off switch. Makes life easy. Regardless of where you put the battery.
Found this a good spot

·
Registered
102 Posts
My back end is already light enough

I would want to add more weight on the rear end and less on the front end. I'm even looking at placing weights above the rear axial. The battery in the trunk is a pain in the butt to access. If you put it in the trunk, you want to add a drip pan for any spills. My battery maintainer cables stay connected to the battery. I have a plug in the line to connect and disconnect the maintainer. Has anyone had corrosion problems where the "-" ties into the frame?

·
Junior Charter Member
2,915 Posts
I ended up on floor of passenger footbox. Above passenger feet was original idea but ended up using that fabbed up box to house my heat/defroster blower.

It works okay. Passengers have not yet complained about limited foot area. My wife is pretty short so with seat bolted full back there is plenty of room and the weight distribution on track is pretty good.
I wrote this a couple days ago and deleted it, figuring "none of my business". But we are here to help each other, and this actually bothers me. Feel free to roll your eyes.

That is an exceedingly terrible location from a safety standpoint in a car with a passenger seat. If you get rear-ended or back into the wall at the track, your passenger or instructor could get a 35lbs projectile in the junk or face (not sure which is worse). Batteries can explode - rare, but it happens. They also vent explosive H2. Yes AGM batteries only tend to do that if they are overcharging, but that also happens. With no enclosure, you also have exposed terminals. Your tie down looks pretty hefty in the last picture left and right, but there isn't a lot if the battery wants to head towards your passenger.

It sounds like you have already been on track. I am surprised that you are passing tech without an enclosure. NASA and SCCA road racing requirement.

I get it, offset drivers weight and down low. But there has got to be a better location in a coupe.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I wrote this a couple days ago and deleted it, figuring "none of my business". But we are here to help each other, and this actually bothers me. Feel free to roll your eyes.

That is an exceedingly terrible location from a safety standpoint in a car with a passenger seat. If you get rear-ended or back into the wall at the track...

It has a cover (not shown to give idea where battery is). With cover on its hard to see battery location. The box it’s in is very stout.

Also, It’s welded in to my frame. I don’t think a collision could make it move.

Please don’t feel odd giving my build criticism, it is GREAT to have people looking at my build for design and engineering weaknesses. I can use all the help I can get.

Everything forward of the firewall is PACKED. If I decide to move that battery, finding room will be tough. About the only remaining option (not in the cabin) would be out back, stuffed around the diff area. I’m not sure that is workable. Otherwise a box welded in over my fuel cell. (That seems worse than current location for a number of reasons)

·
6,303 Posts
I have to agree with Avalanche on this. This is the worst place possible for a battery. In addition to Avalanche's observations, a passenger isn't going to be happy having to cram their feet in next to a battery, enclosed or otherwise. You can do better than this.

Frank

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Don't have access to my pictures now but some of the original Cobras had the battery behind the passengers seat and were uncovered.

George

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
Just a thought:

My local 1/8 track says at minimum you have to have the battery mounted on a tray , and then bolted THROUGH the frame on at least two points.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts