Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
FFCobra Captain
11,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a battery tender for my FFR and another for my 2009 Z06.

I want one with a cigarette lighter adapter and a long enough cord.

What are you guys using for your cars? I see a few on Amazon, but would prefer a recommendation instead of just randomly picking one.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I need to get a battery tender for my FFR and another for my 2009 Z06.

I want one with a cigarette lighter adapter and a long enough cord.

What are you guys using for your cars? I see a few on Amazon, but would prefer a recommendation instead of just randomly picking one.
I just stopped over at Auto-Zone and grabbed one off the shelf 8 years ago. I grabbed another one last November there, and it's the same brand as the first...whatever their stock brand is, I can't recall off the top of my head.

Point being...I needed a second one for another car I have, the first I bought 8 years ago still works just fine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Dan,

Make sure the charger will automatically restart after a loss of mains power. Some require button presses to set the options again before resuming charging. Also don't skimp on quality. Garage fires are routinely caused by battery charger failures / overcharged batteries.

I have my motorcycle charger connected to a plug in timer, set to run for a few hours a week. If the charger were to go berserk, it only has a moderate output of 2amps, so is unlikely to cook the battery.

Cheers, Nigel in South Oz

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi Dan,

Make sure the charger will automatically restart after a loss of mains power. Some require button presses to set the options again before resuming charging. Also don't skimp on quality. Garage fires are routinely caused by battery charger failures / overcharged batteries.

I have my motorcycle charger connected to a plug in timer, set to run for a few hours a week. If the charger were to go berserk, it only has a moderate output of 2amps, so is unlikely to cook the battery.

Cheers, Nigel in South Oz
100% Yes to this. I have been bitten by the power outage battery tender reset issue also.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
It does make a difference if you are maintaining a acid battery or an AGM.

For my Optimas i use a Battery Tenders. # 021-0123. Plugged in 24-7 with no issues.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
312 Posts
The only thing you cant prevent is the charger dying, and killing your battery from complete discharge.
Even a good brand name can do that.
Heck Ive had good luck with the Harbor Freight units.

Tom Turbonut48

·
FFCobra Captain
11,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why? I've had batteries set for over 6 months, car starts right up.
In a car with EFI (and my daily driver z06), I can't go that long without having to charge them up. In a carbed without a constant drain, I'm sure it would last a lot longer.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
This is the one I have and it has always been super easy to use on my Optima in my Cobra and my deep cycle in my boat.
Nice thing is it comes with a connector that stays on the battery and you plug the charger into it quickly and start charging and unplug the charger from the battery in just a couple seconds when you need to go somewhere. Not sure it has the accessory plug connector though...

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-022-0209-DL-WH-Selectable-Switchable/dp/B01K87YZ3C/ref=sr_1_18?crid=2NHZKEJMONJ0O&keywords=battery+tender&qid=1555447526&s=gateway&sprefix=Battery+tender,aps,202&sr=8-18

Bob

·
Registered
169 Posts
Why? I've had batteries set for over 6 months, car starts right up.
I don't know how that's possible in a cold climate...but my '94 Toyota MR2 is dead after the winter, my Cobra is dead after the winter and every other car or motorcycle I've ever had is dead after the winter.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have a big battery charger that I use to charge car batteries. For a tender, I like less than an Amp. If you car is draining more than 1 Amp, you have a leak somewhere and a battery tender is just a band aid. Here is the one that I have been using. It works when the power goes out even. I am sure that there are many other battery tenders out there. I used a Harbor Freight battery tender for 3 years once with out driving the car and the battery never died.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CITK8S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Dan,

a small battery tender like the one Brastic highlighted is probably the best choice as it has no settings and therefore does not require set up again after a power failure. Additionally, using a cigarette lighter plug, whilst very convenient is not the best choice for the following reasons:
1. The cigarette lighter socket has to be powered at all times, in order to maintain a connection to the battery. Whilst this may be the case with your Cobra (unless you run a battery isolator) it probably isn't with your other cars.
2. Connection through a cigarette lighter socket can be poor, with some voltage drop and there is additional wiring connectors and fuses in circuit between the cigarette lighter socket and the battery. A quality microprocessor controlled battery charger regularly takes a sniff of the battery voltage whilst charging. It is very important for this voltage measurement to be accurate in order for the charger to correctly operate. Therefore it is best to run a nice short path between the charger and the battery.

Some chargers come with kits that have quick connect plugs of high quality that allow direct connection to your battery. Personally I think this is the best solution and the only other thing that I would offer is that you put a fuse of the lowest possible rating you can get away with on the charger positive connection where it attaches to the battery. That way if the charger should fail in a short circuit condition or the cable gets damaged, the fuse will blow protecting the wiring and charger.

Hope that makes sense. Feel free to ask more questions.

Cheers, Nigel in south Oz

·
Registered
87 Posts
There's been some discussion on the Corvette forum lately about these. The BatteryMinder Plus is highly rated and on sale now at Northern Tool. Also does desulfation if that concerns you.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,244 Posts
Since I own a Bunch of Battery Whores...

I must have one of every darn kind of low amp chargers made (except HF). Out of the 1/2 Dozen only one has died in the past years a Schumacher. I was like SOB... Now something else of Repair. Opening up the battery charger the Voltage Regulator had Failed. OK, I'll Jump the Biotch out and see what happens (since I didn't want to order a piddly Voltage Regulator). It now puts out 16 Volts (instead of 14ish) but it's back working.

I try not to go longer than 2 weeks on Cars sitting. My C6 hadn't been moved in over 2 weeks last Sunday so I was thinking... Need to Wash the Pollen Off and run it some. It cranked right up. I personally think opening the hood or car door to plug in a charger is for the birds. On the Harleys I normally just use the Alligator clips which are a PIA also. One trick I did in #7787 was use a Marine Battery! They are more durable than most standard Car batteries. ;)

*I'm with Nigel! Direct to the battery, alternator or solenoid. Lots of cars will shut down the Lighter after a period of time. And I'd trip over the cord going in the car. Kinda like a String on a Tampon. Noooooooooooooo.

My idea is to make a magnetic disconnect and put in the grill(s). Then when you get in the car to back up, it automatically disconnects the Charger. I'm thinking use two round magnets one small (1/4 to 3/8") and a hollow outside magnet (mounted in the grill) the charger part would just be the two poles to match the round magnets. (Yes, each pole would have to be insulated.) Has anyone ever seen such an animal? I know it can be made (for me it, it's just time).

The Schumacher you posted Dan should be fine. If it Dies, it's Repairable! I am in Disagreement with Harbor Freight Low Amp Chargers. Hell, just get a wall wart (12V DC, 1 amp) and plug it in! NOT! I do buy some things from Harbor Freight but some stuff they sell is total Junk. (Sorry!)

Google just found this, which is close to what I'm thinking. Just not $80.00! https://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx/magnetic-battery-charger-hookup/?gclid=CjwKCAjwndvlBRANEiwABrR32P_PCu861qPQWtDMmp99Bmeq3M2gTLHhqRhexPw9to7OqtKJ5tZGQBoCYRAQAvD_BwE

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,250 Posts
Also vote for Battery Tender Junior. I kept one on my 560SL for years with no problems. I mounted it under the hood with the plug under the grill. Left it hooked to the battery even on the road. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I agree with Dave Van. My Battery Tender Junior has kept my Autozone battery going for 10 years. I plug it in if I won't be driving the roadster for two weeks.

·
Official OLD GUY
3,723 Posts
X2

What cobrajj just said . . . exactly. Been on a Battery Tender Jr. for 10 years with no issues.

Got it when (I thought) my Red Top Optima was dead. Turns out it just needed to be recycled to bring it back from what I thought was dead. The guy at the battery store instructed me on how to do that and then recommended I get a Battery Tender Jr. to keep it healthy.
My Red Top Optima is 17 years old and still starts the car every time . . .

Doc :beerchug:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts