Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering dose anybody have pics of a battery that has been mounted on top the passenger foot box. I would like to do this but am having trouble making it fit, it is a Optima 8 cell battery.
thanx

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
I think you could build a new hold-down for it and lay the battery on it's side.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
4,241 Posts
Just asking, why are you moving it? Just asking... Not alot of people have that problem, you can always purchase a larger gage wire!

Rgds

ROb

[ January 18, 2004, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Rob ]

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the reason i am moving the battery is to shorten the length of the cable from the battery and the stater thus geting less resistance in and that makes all the differance in the world starting a v8

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Just maybe a strange question but has anyone thought of moving it behind the passenger seat as in the original???

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
289FIA - It won't fit behind the passenger seat unless you have a passenger with real short legs. It would also be a PIA to service in that location. We put ours in the trunk centered as far forward as it would go. Had to cut about 1/2 inch off the top of the plastic battery box top to fit. Works perfect in that location and is easy to get to. Just use heavy gauge cables.

Frank n Sons.

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Howdy,

Has anybody ever installed dual batteries in their car? I've owned several big-block cars and trucks and I always had 2 batteries to help with the starting. Thats what I'm planning to do. I have a golf cart relay that is rated for 36VDC w/ a 12VDC coil that will connect both batteries to the starter and alternator. Plus I will use it as a power disconnect w/ remote to prevent car thieft

Paul

·
Senior Charter Member
1,725 Posts
Anybody relocated their battery from the standard location to the trunk area? I am thinking of changing mine, PIA the way it is now and would look cool with nice brackets and new Optima battery.

JQ

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,941 Posts
I have the Breeze kit in my car. Easy install, and my starter cables are about a foot long. Besides, are these cars heavier in the back than in the front? Won't moving the battery forward help improve weight distribution?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Here is how I put my Optima in the trunk. I made a tray and recessed it in the upper trunk 3". Then I used a nylon battery strap to hold it down.

[ January 18, 2004, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: RikRok ]

·
Premium Member
16,719 Posts
Where is knightyme when you need him? Has anybody seen his battery. I laughed when I saw his little battery on his passenger side footbox top. But damn if the thing dosen't work perfectly. Hopefully he will see this post and put up a picture of it.

(Oh man did I just compliment him?
I must be getting old or something!) :D

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
What is the speed of dark?
593 Posts
Larry

Your work is awesome! Nice job on the battery mount. One of these days I hope to see your car in person. Are you coming to Knotts this year?

mikee

·
Registered
891 Posts
If I were doing my battery mounting again I would use an Optima 51 battery and install it behind the passenger seat. Search on Optima 51 using Google to see the dimensions. Use big wire and a good ground and you wouldnt have to worry about starting a high compression engine. That would get the weight low and on the right side. I might even notch out the rear bulkhead so that it would move back a bit but you couldn't move it much with the IRS arms.
Bob

[ February 17, 2004, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: bobzffr ]

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
mikee
You asked:
Larry, ... Are you coming to Knotts this year?
Not in the plans at the moment. No way to get the car there. Unless there is some way to make it happen.

I would really like to spend more time with the SoCal/AZ gang. Since I spend time in SoCal growing up, I feel somewhat of a kin, if you know what I mean. Have familiy in AZ, so there's a connection there as well.

My friend, Farra Snook, may attend and he has a 2-car trailer...but he usually brings 2 of his own cars. (Brought 3 to Las Vegas)

So I doubt old 3850 gets a ride down. Thanks for the nice compliments...you guys down there have equal if not way nicer rides...plus, you can actually use them in the winter (ours just waste away all winter)

Your friend, lnj

1 - 20 of 25 Posts