Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The FFR is my first significant mechanical project, and this is my first of my basic "dumb" questions:

I've got my high mileage (150k) donor engine (drove the car home and it runs well). It's on a hoist and I'm planning to mount it on an engine stand to clean it up and evaluate how much of a rebuild is necessary.

The bolts are off of the bell housing and it's beginning to pull away from the engine, but it's hanging up. Before forcing anything, am I going about this the right way or is there a better process to remove the transmission?

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Peter & Kristen Welcome

As I recall you should take the trans loose from the bell housing first. The input shaft sticks out, through the clutch and into the pilot bearing. If you pull the bell houseing with trans attached things will get tight as the weight of the trnas trines to move the clutch.

Be sure to come out the VI. If you don't know what that is, the check out the Capital Area Cobra Club.

·
4,494 Posts
There are a could of aligning pins in the block that stick about 1/2 inch out, so you have to the pull bell housing off straight, otherwise they bind.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stephen,
That got it. Thanks. Now to work into my first clutch. Just got the kit -- will be there next Saturday.

Peter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts