Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is continuously asked questions about our FFR. Because of this, she asked me to write down a brief, easy to understand, basic history of the car. She also asked for a “top 10” list of the most common questions regarding the car.

I thought this was a great idea, so I started with what I have below. It’s my first stab at it so it needs some work, and some of the facts are probably off, so I’m asking for your years of Cobra wisdom to help out and compile this list.

It needs to be basic so a “non car” person can understand it, and not be too long as to lose the reader.

It might be of value to your better half!

Basic Facts: Carol Shelby, a Texan who was well known internationally for his racing victories, wanted to build his own race car. He made a deal with AC motorcompany to import their car, the AC Ace into the US, without any engine. He also made a deal with Ford to use their new small block V-8 in the British car he began to import. Shelby took the Ace, modified it slightly so he could install the Ford V-8 engine and that was essentially the first Cobra. A few Cobra’s had a 261 cubic inch engine, but most of the first ones had the newer 289 cubic inch engines (a small block). Shelby and others raced these successfully from 1963 until 1965. Shelby then realized that he could fit the Ford 427 V-8 engine (big block) into the car. He had AC motorcompany modify the frame and body to accommodate the larger engine and bigger tires. The famous 427 Cobra was born. It had a successful racing history and was produced from 1965 until 1967. The car was mainly produced for racing, however in order for Carol Shelby to qualify the car in it’s class, he had to produce a minimum of 100 cars for sale to the public. Approximately 1000 Cobra’s were produced.

1 Is it an original? No, it’s a replica of a 1965 AC Cobra. Or it’s a hand made reproduction of a 1965 AC Cobra.

2 Is that a kit? Yes, it is a replica of a 1965 Cobra.

3 What kind of car is it? It is a 2 seater Roadster

4 Name of the car: AC Cobra, or Shelby Cobra, or 1965 Cobra

5 What engine does it have? Ford 302 (302 is how big it is, IE 302 cubic inches of displacement).

6 How fast is it? 0-60 mph in 4.9 seconds, ¼ mile in 13.5 seconds, top speed of 140 mph in stock form (IE without modifying the engine for more power)

7 How much did it cost you? Too much (or over $XX,000.00)

8 What years were the original Cobra’s made? 1963-1967

9 How many original cars were made? Approximately 1000. Approximately 550 were the Cobra’s with the smaller 289 engine, and approximately 450 were the famous 427 Cobra.

10 How much does an original 427 Cobra cost? $250,000 to $500,000+

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.