1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Red Factory Five Cobra sold yesterday at the auction in Vegas for
$43,000.Car had a fox-body 5.0 /302 .

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like where he located the air filter.Seems like a much less restricted air flow.has anyone else done the same ?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
4 speed transmission

·
3,557 Posts
It’s a pretty nice Mk3 build! 302, explorer intake and probably a T-5 mixing it up! Good selling price for sure!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Like was mentioned - the descriptions are not always accurate in those listings... I'm going to bet it's the standard mustang 5-speed (or similar cased 5-speed - z-spec, etc.) and steno - that is most definitely NOT an explorer intake it's a tubular GT40 intake that flows a bit better than the explorer intake and it's what "inspired" the explorer intake as a cheaper way to make an intake that flows close but it quicker to manufacture. See the pic:

https://lib.americanmuscle.com/files/contentgenerator/foxbody-intakes-explained.html/intakecomparison.png

·
Not a waxer
11,768 Posts
Like was mentioned - the descriptions are not always accurate in those listings... I'm going to bet it's the standard mustang 5-speed (or similar cased 5-speed - z-spec, etc.) and steno - that is most definitely NOT an explorer intake it's a tubular GT40 intake that flows a bit better than the explorer intake and it's what "inspired" the explorer intake as a cheaper way to make an intake that flows close but it quicker to manufacture. See the pic:

https://lib.americanmuscle.com/files/contentgenerator/foxbody-intakes-explained.html/intakecomparison.png

Correct!

Some info I socked away a few years ago shows that the '93 & '94-'95 Cobra intakes, as well as the GT40, flow ~11-12% more than the Explorer on average. All four flow significantly more (as much as 45% more) than a stock Mustang 5.0 intake

Here are some flow numbers from testing that Edelbrock performed. The first 8 numbers are each runner, the bold number is the average.

Runner CFM
Intake 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8, Average

Stock 5.0: 123 140 142 145 119 139 133 150 136

GT-40: 186 202 202 204 182 197 198 201 197

'93 Cobra: 187 203 200 200 188 206 207 208 200

'94-'95 Cobra: 184 200 197 198 186 206 206 207 198

Explorer: 169 180 176 180 177 177 183 183 178

The Explorer intake is often touted as being equal to the GT40 and Cobra units however the numbers say otherwise. That said, whether you'd feel much "seat of the pants" difference with all other factors being equal (cam, injectors, tune, etc) is open to discussion.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Looks like a very good price for the car. Was surprised it went that high.

·
3,557 Posts
I should have looked closer!! Still a great selling price for that car!

·
Registered
32 Posts
There is a lot of "stupid money" at BJ. Not saying that the car wasn't worth it.. The only problem of selling thru BJ is that you have to take the risk of the no reserve status. Some win, some loose. I am not a gambler so if I had a car to sell I would have to take a lot of mental stablizing drugs to get through the bidding process....
I have been down to Scottdale a few times. Well worth the price of admission. Scottsdale is a must see experience for any car guy. Put it on your bucket list!
ph

·
Registered
7 Posts
Watched a few of the auctions. Those auction handlers really put the pressure on. I saw a guy reach his limit on a car ($60k) and he stopped bidding. The handler pressured him and he looked away. Finally he walked away and the handler followed him. He looked back and saw them following and started to walk faster. The handler ran after him. It's no wonder they get top dollar. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I think "stupid money" I think of the BatMobile that sold a couple years ago. 7 figures, I don't remember exact final figure.
Someone must have had a gun pointed at that bidder :)-)).
Reality is it happens on all sorts of cars. Sellers dream is that at least two bidders absolutely have to have the car going over the block. They get carried away.
Crazy figures when you compute 10% commission on these sales. This is a huge business!
OK,sorry not really related to ff cars. But interesting..
cheers,
ph

1 - 18 of 18 Posts