Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Newbie...
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have seen a few references in various posts to people saying they deliberately slowed down their 1/4 mile times so they don't get banned from the track/strip...I am curious, why would you get banned for being too quick??? I thought that was the idea?

·
Charter Member
1,117 Posts
Rules, and they are more strict for convertibles/roadsters. helmet, driveshaft loop, roll cage, etc. Some tracks are more forgiving than others.

·
Registered
202 Posts
when you get into the 11 second zone you need to abide by NHRA rules... Meaning you need a roll cage and other safety equiptment. Then if your really fast i believe 9 second zone you need to be licensed
tim

·
Registered
231 Posts
Okay, I'm speculating a bit here.

I have heard that if you have substantially fast times, there are restrictions on your vehicle regarding safety gear. If you are running too fast, you have to have this gear or you are not allowed on the track until you do.

Regards,

Frank

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,441 Posts
These cars don't even come close to meeting safety regs for cages, etc. for their times.

In most cases, you will get one fast run, and they will tell you to go home and come back when you have a full cage, etc.

Take a look on the Drag Racing forum. Some people have gotten very creative with removable with cages and such.

Kevin

·
dreamer turned builder
1,082 Posts
Safety/liability/legality concerns. I do not have the rulebook in front of me, but our local dragstrip guy suggested the single hoop roll bar was not NHRA legal for a car faster than 14 seconds.

He said that if the Cobra ran faster than 14.00 it wouldn't be allowed to run anymore.

Some dragstrips may be more lenient than others.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
Hey Hoof, I've taken my car down to Sac raceway and they have been told that I can't run without a number of items; full rollbar, drive shaft hoop, arm restraints. Like you said, it was their insurance carrier that has mandated they follow the NHRA book for safety equipment.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,435 Posts
At our local track they tell us any faster than a 14 and you can't run. I think that's a NHRA rule. If the track isn't running an NHRA event, you might be able to get away with it. Watch for "Test & Tune" days for your best chance of not getting booted, but yes, anything faster than a 14 and you run the risk of only getting one run in.
One thing that's kind of fun is to put the brakes on at the end. See how fast of an ET you can get with how low of a speed at the end! See if you can turn a 14.0 @ 30 mph!

-Mike

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,266 Posts
Our local track is IHRA. Below are their requirements. As mentionied above you must meet the safety requirements for the ET you are running as follows:

Elapsed Time (ET) of 13.50 seconds or slower

Snell 95 (or newer) helmet mandatory for entries running 13.99 or faster. - Recommended for entries running 14.00 or slower.
Full hood
Drive shaft loop if equipped with slicks
Battery hold-down
Radiator overflow can
Seat belts
Neutral safety switch mandatory for all vehicles with an automatic transmission. If a manual transmission vehicle was originally provided by the manufacturer with a clutch interlock switch it must remain operational.
Check current IHRA Rule Book for additional requirements and specifications.

Elapsed Time (ET) of 11.50 - 13.49

Snell 95 (or newer) helmet
Full hood
Drive shaft loop if equipped with slicks
Battery hold-down
Radiator overflow can
Seat belts
Roll Bar or Roll Cage for convertibles - recommended for all others.
Window Net (vehicles equipped with a Roll Cage only)
Transmission shield/blanket meeting SFI Specification 4.1 if the vehicle uses a modified transmission or special converter.
Neutral safety switch mandatory for all vehicles with an automatic transmission. If a manual transmission vehicle was originally provided by the manufacturer with a clutch interlock switch it must remain operational.
Reverse lockout mandatory.
Arm restraints required on open body entries.

Elapsed Time (ET) of 10.00 - 11.49

Hood is optional
Drive shaft loop
Battery hold-down
Radiator overflow can
Seat belts meeting SFI Specification 16.1 within 2 years expiration from date of manufacture.
Harmonic Balancer meeting SFI 18.1 Specification (10.99 or quicker)
Properly secured fire extinguisher
Aftermarket axles and axle retention devices (10.99 or quicker)
Roll Bar
Window Net (vehicles equipped with a Roll Cage only)
Transmission shield/blanket meeting SFI Specification 4.1 if the vehicle uses a modified transmission or special converter, or the vehicle runs 10.99 seconds or quicker.
Neutral safety switch mandatory for all vehicles with an automatic transmission. Reverse lockout mandatory. If a manual transmission vehicle was originally provided by the manufacturer with a clutch interlock switch it must remain operational.
Flywheel shield meeting SFI Specification 6.3 on vehicles using multi-disc type clutches.
Flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and flywheel shield meeting SFI 1.1 Specifications required on all cars using a clutch.
Jacket meeting SFI 3.2A-1 Specifications
Arm Restraints required on all open bodied cars

Elapsed Time (ET) of 7.00 - 9.99

IHRA Class B Competition License required for all drivers running an ET of 0.00 - 7.99 seconds, an IHRA Class C Competition License when running 8.00 - 8.99 seconds or an IHRA Class D Competition License when running 9.00 - 9.99 seconds.
Drive shaft loop
Fire system (8.49 or quicker)
Flywheel shield mandatory (8.49 or quicker)
Harmonic Balancer meeting SFI 18.1 Specifications
Parachute required for all cars running over 150 MPH
Two parachutes required for all cars running over 200 MPH
Jacket meeting SFI 3.2A-5 Specifications
Jacket and pants for all cars running 8.49 seconds or faster which must meet SFI 3.2A-5 Specifications.
Roll cage mandatory for all cars running 9.00 seconds or quicker.
Chassis Certification mandatory for all entries running 9.00 seconds or quicker.
Seat belt meeting SFI 16.1 specifications within 2-year expiration from date of manufacture.
All vehicles running 8.99 or faster must use a diaper.
Flexplate meeting SFI 29.1 specifications
Transmission shield meeting SFI 30.1 specifications
Supercharger strap meeting SFI 14.1 specifications
Neck collar meeting SFI 3.3 specifications (8.49 or quicker)
Gloves meeting SFI 3.3/5 specifications (9.99 or quicker) on open bodied entries.
Arm Restraints meeting SFI 3.3 specifications (9.99 or quicker) on open bodied entries.

·
Newbie...
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, really appreciate the clarification. I had no idea that safety standards/requirements changed according to speed over the 1/4 mile. You would think either the car is safe or it isn't?!!? Nothing seems to be black and white anymore.

·
Senior Charter Member
887 Posts
Wow never thought of those...tooo fast HA!

CalHusker

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
I saw this:

All vehicles running 8.99 or faster must use a diaper.

I can tell you that I'd probably need one for my first run in the 8's! Good rule!

R :D

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,441 Posts
The humorous (sad?) part of this, is that you can go to those same tracks and ride a Hyubusa or Kawasaki ZX14 in the high 9's, and all you need are leathers and a helmet.

Kevin

·
Charter Member
1,117 Posts
Good point Kevin! I remember my bike running 119 MPH and being warned that at 120 I'd need full leathers. I tried my best but still ran 119 three more times. On the other hand, in my Camaro running low 13's I had to have a helmet on and the windows up. Some of the rules do seem a little silly at least for the slower vehicles.

Sorry to get off track but its amazing that legally a 16 year old can go buy a 9 second bike off the showroom floor with zero experience and ride it home or straight to the track.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,441 Posts
The rules are a carry-over from the early 70's when Pro Stock cars were running in the 10's and everyone thought that was unbelievably fast.

They really do need to update things for the current times.

Kevin

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,435 Posts
I agree with Kevin - rules are screwed up when you run 10s on a bike or snowmobile (no seatbelt - just hang on to handlebars), but we can't run 13.9 with a rollbar, racing harness, arm restraints, and a helmet! ...whatever...

-Mike

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I think cars like the new Z06 will spur the rules to be changed. They run below the roll cage times with just simple bolt-ons and they are affordable by a large number of people, where in the past a low 11 second high 10 second ride was pretty exotic. There was a guy on the corvette forums that ran high 10's with just basic bolt ons, that is pretty insane.

I hope the rules change soon enough, I think it will get more people out to the track. I know of more then a few guys who cant run at the track since they refuse to put a cage in their "street car" and they run way faster then the rules allow them to..

·
Junior Charter Member
2,688 Posts
I hope the rules change as well but I'm not holding my breath. Safety rules by any governing body tend to get more strict over time and not more lax. It's ironic that you can buy a motorized vehicle that goes faster on the street than you are allowed to on a controlled strip setting. I would love to run my car at the strip even if it was the 1/8th mile.
Thomas

1 - 20 of 43 Posts