Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do i know which balancer i have??
My balancer weighs 9.6 pounds. 1 pd= 16 ounces so i am not sure what a 27 ounce balancer is. That would make mine a 154oz balancer.
??????

·
Charter Member
118 Posts
also don't forget your flywheel my is a 1969 counter balanced at 28oz. Balancer to Flywheel

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
It's not the actual weight of the balancer, but the counter weight/imbalance of the unit.

What model is it? Part number if stock Ford? Is it the OE from your late model donor? More than likely it is a 50 oz. unit, BUT it could be a 28 oz. unit. SOME engine kits, especially strokers, use the earlier imbalance weight, which allows a broader use of flywheels/flexplates...

HTH...
Mark

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha-thanks a bunch! I see that ford racing only offers a 28.2 oz balancer-is that what i need?
Thanks again!

[ July 12, 2007, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: cobrastang ]

·
Super Moderator
29,535 Posts
Ford Racing and aftermarket sources offer 28 and 50 oz units. Some come with both weights so you can fit either application

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Who built your engine? You need to find out what the crank was balanced with (if it all). Ford small-blocks are externally balanced, meaning the flywheel/flexplate has to match the damper/balancer, but there are higher end engine kits that use a zero balance setup (internally balanced crank)...

I doubt you have an internally balanced engine with just a 306 build. Do you have a flywheel purchased yet? If you do that will determine what balancer you need, if not you could technically go either way as long as the flywheel and balancer match. But again, I stress discussing with your engine builder/crate engine source as to the crank info.

HTH...
Mark

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Originally posted by cobrastang:
Gotcha-thanks a bunch! I see that ford racing only offers a 28.2 oz balancer-is that what i need?
Thanks again!
1968-80 302 engines were built with a 28-ounce imbalance factor.
1981-01 302 engines were built with a 50-ounce imbalance factor.
1969-97 351W engines were built with a 28-ounce imbalance factor.
1970-74 351C engines were built with a 28-ounce imbalance factor.

Severe engine damage will result if you use the wrong flywheel or damper on your engine.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
29,535 Posts
I agree. There's more info needed

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry guys-I just ordered a DSS 331 stroker to replace my 306 and they informed me that i would need a 28 oz imbalance flwheel and harmonic balancer/dampner. I was going to purchase the combo from them, but they were very expensive. So, i decided i would shop on my own with the help of this forum.

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
Yes get the 28. You'll probably need a pulley spacer with it.

I built a 331 balanced @28oz. I continued to use my factory serpetine set up. I ended up having to buy the .950 spacer so the crank pulley would line up like before.

My scat kit came with a Professional Products balancer. The local speed shops carry that brand spacers too.

·
Super Moderator
29,535 Posts
Get an aluminum flywheel

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can you all post some links or recommend some parts for me that will be good around 7000 rpm.
Especially the spacer. I dont want to spend a fortune, but medium grade will be good.
Thanks so much!

·
The Traveler
3,106 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
A couple things I forgot to mention in PM.

1) The Powerbond SFI balancer does not require a spacer like the above Professional Products or other balancers.

2) The center section of the Fidanza aluminum flywheel is replaceable, so you don't have to get it machined.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts