Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same problem after going from 302 to a 347 with 28oz flywheel. It vibrated at 60mph in 3rd gear - and 3rd gear only. Pinion angle was OK. I had a 4-link and I bolted back on that UGE dampener from the Mustang. That solved the problem. (I later went to a Levy Racing 5-link)

You said you had 4-link, curious - are you using the dampener?
UGE dampener. Is that the same as the quad shock on the Mustang?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I did my homework and found out that my vibration has nothing to do with pinion angle!! I now know that the vibration is between 1900 and 2400 RPM no matter what, so I guess it is engine or tranny related...

·
Registered
886 Posts
Assuming you have the correct balancer and flywheel, that leaves you with the pilot bearing, clutch hat / pressure plate or the transmission input shaft.

·
Registered
886 Posts
You can eliminate the pilot bearing and transmission input shaft by testing if you have the vibration with the clutch depressed and the transmission in gear with the car stationary. If you still have the vibration then the pressure plate is out of balance or not mounted correctly. The only other option is the engine is not balanced correctly and that seems extremely unlikely.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts