Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Water pump on the new engine leaks as fast as I can pour water in. Tried 3 sets of new gaskets, no luck. I am going to leave the car at home and not push my luck trying to drive it to the open house.

Maybe next year if we still have it.

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Ditto on the timing cover. I built my first 302 at age 16 and put the wrong bolts on the back side of the water pump (the correct ones had very thin heads). When I bolted on the pump it cracked the front cover. Water just poured out like crazy.

Not a dig at you here but you might think about just taking the thing to a mechanic. Sometimes I've been stymied and frustrated by a car and finally just took it to a pro. A fresh look at things often finds very simple problems that we overlook. Forest for the trees and all.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
388 Posts
Yeah, those two thin-head bolts on the bottom backside of the pump that connect the plate to the pump need to be tight and out of the way of the timing cover. I forgot to tighten those when I put a new standard rotation pump on my 302. They can just barely be reached with a real flat wrench.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
717 Posts
Aaron,
It is a very common mistake, mis-matching the water pump to the timing case cover. Damn...done it more than once too!

If it's coming out as fast as you indicate, not likely a gasket.

When you get the pump apart take your gasket and match it to the pump, then the cover. Bet if you look close you will find a 1/4 gap at the bottom of one of the case ports.

DV....this too will pass ....get that puppy to the Fling!

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
I think there has to be about a dozen different variations and combinations of gaskets made for the SBF water pumps..
Sorry to hear of the problems Aaron.. :(

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It should have worked, it was the pump off the old engine. Both timing covers were to my knowledge 87-93 sbf HO 5 liter covers. Oh well I was obviously working wayyy too fast and stressing out and couldn't do it right. Maybe next time. Off to the open house now (in a honda for good gas mileage hehe).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.