Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About two months ago I bought RVAITOR’s car which was about 95% finished. Sunday before last my GTM arrived. It was a heart wrenching beginning. The car did not run because it has the VATS related engine starts, runs five-seconds, quits problem and the battery was dead anyway (minor short?). So the transporter driver had parked uphill so that the car would roll out of the trailer downhill. The driver got a little crossed–up backing the car out of the trailer. With the car just protruding from the trailer, the left rear flank was too close to the trailer wall to go any further without smashing the quarter panel area. Without engine power, the car could not be pulled back into the trailer for another try. Did I mention no Ebrake, so I had to sit in the car mashing the brake pedal in between times when the driver (he was bigger than me) tried to push the car back into the trailer? He couldn’t do it, so we were stuck there – none of my cronies available to help; my wife’s help made no difference pushing; none of my jacks would fit underneath the GTM; the winch in the trailer would not attach to the GTM without damaging the bodywork; and my leg was cramping.

What a bum beginning! I was just about to accept the damage to the quarter panel when the driver summoned up a do or die effort and was able to push the car far enough into the trailer to pull up the ramp. We were able to reverse direction and point downhill to let the car roll back into the trailer far enough to straighten out. We then reversed direction again and tried to roll the car out again. Success! I haven’t been so relieved since I found out my teenaged drunken marriage in Mexico was not legal. Total time: about 11/2 hours. Whew!

After getting her in the garage, I just admired her for two days. She is a beauty! I would call the paint job a three to five footer with no glaring mistakes. Most paint problems are tucked away in secondary areas that you don’t see until you start looking.

It appears that I’m going to have to reverse engineer some of the systems, wiring, component access, and component layout in order to finish the car. This is a lot harder than it sounds. Even with the extensive manual provided by FFR, there are a lot of areas open to individual choices which makes going back into this or that area a bear. My future posts will be living examples of this. I am going to call on the group mind extensively as I start the process of backtracking.

:director::blink:

·
Junior Charter Member
1,635 Posts
That's why I wrote a users manual for my car. If I ever sell it, it will help people understand the wiring and how the car is setup for electrical, cooling, fuel..etc.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing how you dig into it. I can't imagine trying to go backwards at the point I'm at.

·
Jack of all trades - expert at nothing
4,395 Posts
Good Luck on your endeavor,

as I bought my Spyder built & am presently reverse engineering it with some frustration. Then proceeding with upgrades.

I also intend to put together some kind of manual/notes for future reference.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,337 Posts
That's why I wrote a users manual for my car. If I ever sell it, it will help people understand the wiring and how the car is setup for electrical, cooling, fuel..etc.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing how you dig into it. I can't imagine trying to go backwards at the point I'm at.
X2
A quality build is more than just the car.... You have alot work ahead of you..But you'll get through it with the help of the forum.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
User Manuals

Good Luck on your endeavor,

as I bought my Spyder built & am presently reverse engineering it with some frustration. Then proceeding with upgrades.

I also intend to put together some kind of manual/notes for future reference.
I think the idea of creating user manuals that accurately document your build is a great idea. Especially if you ever intend to sell the car, as it will give the new owner accurate info as to how to trouble shoot any issue that may pop up later.

However, one thing that I would like to add, is that if you don't maintain detailed information as you go, the odds are that you will not end up with the level of documentation that you intended. There is simply too much, that is done along the way, to remember. (At least for me). I know for certain that I (like most people) don't have a "photographic memory".

icouldabeenaV8 - Congrats on your purchase. You got a nice car, and you helped out a really good person who needed the help.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding help to any problems that may pop up. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking forward to this. Looks like like I will be looking for an answer shortly. In the middle of roadblock one.

Yes jmichaelbaskin you're right. I met Tom and his family they are very nice people. Very gracious to me during my visit. My best wishes to them.

·
Junior Charter Member
88 Posts
your story reminded me of bringing my car for alignment after installing the urethane bushings - start and stall attacked as I was loading on trailer and after quite a bit of effort I barely got car loaded on trailer only to realize I was stuck in the car (since the door would not open past trailer fenders) and not enough battery to start car again......I slipped through door window - no easy feat!

You will solve every problem one at a time - I just finally solved 2 that I dreaded - start and stall, and cross over gas leak and the feeling of accomplishment makes all that frustration dissapear!

Luke

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.