Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my springs and coils yesterday at around 11:30 in the morning and got back on the road by 3:00 pm. I lowered the ride height by 1/2 inch after taking the car aound the block. Test drove again and the ride height was too low. Had to adjust it upward again. I settle on the ride height at 4 5/8 up front and 4 7/8 at the back. I'm waiting to see if the coils will settle in a little while before I adjust the ride height again and check the alignment. Put 50 miles on the car today but the ride height didn't change yet. I hope it will settle down another 1/2 inch after a few more miles.

The bilsteins are A273 T1 with 450 lb. springs all around. They're all the same because I have IRS. FFR is no longer providing the 500 lb. as a substitute. The package didn't come with grade 8 washers, so I had to run out to the store to get some.

Finally, the car is off the jack stands and on the ground where it belongs. Now I can enjoy the rest of summer and fall. :cool:

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
2,990 Posts
Curtis: congrats on getting the car on the road.

NAGA AKA "Willie": Thanks for the song.

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Curtis:

Congratulations. When did you send your shocks and springs into FFR? I'm still waiting for mine!

·
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Bob,

I sent mine back on July 13th. I had FFR overnight priority my replacements so that I could install them this past weekend. I was anxious.

Convincor,

After I looked over the package (springs, shocks, jamb nuts and heim joints, and hats) that was shipped and reviewed the instructions from their website, I noticed that the washers were not there. I figure, it couldn't hurt. So, I went out and got some.

I checked with Wayne Presley Saturday before I installed them (great guy and always available) and told me that adding the washers wouldn't hurt.

[ August 13, 2007, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Curtis ]

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
I have not gone back and looked, but I was of the impression that when FFR issued their revised spring / hat instructions they said the washer was needed. Don't see how it can hurt.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
When talking with ffr about the washers Was told no washer used with the new hats. The washers were for the earlyer,thinner hats.
Not sure they would hurt useing them other then trying to find a washer with the correct I.D and O.D.since it's not a common size.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I called Factory Five today. They said there order of springs was not enough to cover all orders.
I guess I’m SOL for a few more weeks.

·
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oops!

·
Banned
212 Posts
Based upon the 4 weeks + that people are waiting for their replacements, and I assume paying some sort of shipping costs, One big question. Is FFR doing something with the shocks to examine them for damage? X-raying or magnafluxing or something to determine if they are damaged in any way? I have called & am waiting for a call back from them for "instructions on how to send them in" I can just order springs somewhere & have my car on the road in a lot less than 4 weeks. Let's see, $125 for springs vs 4 weeks of not driving out of our six month season here. Someone tell me FFR's way is better.

·
Charter Member
1,576 Posts
FFR paid my shipping both ways. As far as I know FFR is replacing all shocks if there is mileage on the car.

Why did they go away from 500# springs?

Geoff

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
mdmull:

When this issue first came up about 1 month ago, FFR and their suppliers were caught off guard by it and had no inventory on hand to deal with the returns. I would assume (only my assumption) that the turn around time has improved now that FFR and / or their suppliers have a better idea as to what to expect. If you chose to buy your shocks elsewhere, you incur the cost yourself.

·
Banned
212 Posts
I guess tha real question was, are they doing anything with the shocks themselves. I assume they aren't replacing them unless there is actual damage to the shocks. It seems that my issue is just the wrong (12 coil) springs. There is no apparent damage to the shocks. If the only thing that will happen is new springs (when they have them), I'd as soon just buy new springs and not have my whole coilover units in MA for the next month. If on the other hand, they are doing some real examination of the shocks before deciding to replace or not, the wait is probably worth the $5-600 dollars it would cost to replace the whole unit. Haven't returned them yet as I haven't "gotten the call"

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
They are not examining the shock before they make that decision. The decision is made over the phone by the engineer, based upon whether you have driven the car or not. I would suggest you call FFR again if they have not called back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.