Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See it at.. http://www.bristoldyno.com/

Okay...These dyno numbers were identical to the dyno at open house.
I benched marked at 333 RWHP. Once again I limited the Rpm to 5800. Next we stuck in a superchip burned for my engine and I got 250rwhp and it wouldn't idle.
We tried a couple of programs and no luck...couldn't even idle the car. Black smoke coming out of sidepipes.
Next he burned a Diablo chip, but it wouldn't even fit into my A9L.
No chip for me and back to my original set-up. My Air mixture was perfect on my stock A9L set-up dipping down to 11.8 at full boost.
Next we gave it 12 degrees timing with spout out and pickup 2-3 HP. Next we gave it 14 and lost.
So, to be safe we ended up at 10 and left it there.
One thing the dyno chart shows is the amount of useable HP.
I had over 300 footpounds of torque at 1800 RPM's and climbed to 355. It was flat across the whole Rpm range.

The good news is that he charged me $79 for 2 and 1/2 hours of Dyno time.

[ June 24, 2004, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Knight ]

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,802 Posts
Bill, Your air fuel is right on for pump gas. Any leaner and you run the risk of hurting the engine. The Dioblo chips will go in but they are difficult and many try to install them upside down.
Your numbers are respectable, a little low for what you have in you engine in my opinion. If all the numbers are checking out and it is reliable, drive and have fun.

·
Junior Charter Member
364 Posts
I think I saw it on another post, but how much boost are you running? Just curious. If you're not running into detonation, there may be more power available with a pulley change as I'm sure you're aware.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Knight, if you are interested, you can come down to my shop here on LI and I can dyno tune your car no problem.

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,794 Posts
Not bad Bill...you got the front page of their website...she looks great.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
FYI, I know of a local guy with a 2003 Mustang Cobra SVT and he's getting 380 RWHP out of a basically stock setup with a chip, smaller pulleys, a K & N cold air package, and Borla cat-backs. I would think a 331 stroker could be coaxed to give up at least that much.

·
Registered
718 Posts
"Your numbers are respectable, a little low for what you have in you engine in my opinion"

That's what I was thinking, I made more than that with my 331ci NA and lesser parts. What are your cams specs? Find someone who can put a good tune, there's more there.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Dyno operator downloaded a burn which was close to what my engine specs were.
This seems screwed up to me, because it's not a closed loop way of tuning a car.
You engine fits into the mold of that program.
Shouldn't there be a better way of fine tuning an engine that is modified?

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
what is the compression ratio (8.5 : 1?). If you run 10 lbs. of boost you will probably get 50-60 additional hp.

·
8,275 Posts
Something sounds a little screwy to me Bill. You have better flowing heads than me plus 4 into 4's, you should be making more torque and more HP. There's something not quite right. Maybe it's in the tune or maybe it's somewhere in the motor. I wouldn't give up on the search just yet.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Here's my thoughts on it, after thinking about it for a while..

You have a 331 with 185s, and 5 lbs on the KB.

Just to compare, I just tuned a Gen 1 Lightning with a built 351, AFR 185s, and 10 psi Vortech. The truck made about 380 rwhp, through a choked exhaust. I use this comparison because you are close in displacement and have the same heads. Now you are only running 5 psi, vs his 10, and a little less displacement. Also, you didn't say what KB you are running. If it's the 1500 with no bypass, that blower is a literal pressure cooker, and not a great performer. It's good for off the line torque, but it gets hot REAL fast, especially with no by pass. I am very familiar with those blowers from years of tuning Gen 1 Lightings with them. If you are running the 2200, then that's a different story, and you should be making way more power. But based on your setup, if I am correct about what blower you have, it's about right.

I am still confident that I can improve your tune on the dyno though, so seriously consider taking the drive down here.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I agree with Mike. My 347 naturally asperated dynoed at 350 rwhp at 6000 rpm. Specification are below.

Dick

·
8,275 Posts
Sal

Bill has the 1500 KB as I do. My Dynojet numbers were 412 RWTQ and 363 RWHP at a little over 5psi. My torque curve takes a big dump at 4000rpm which is why the low HP, but I get over 400 RWTQ at only 2300 rpm. My feeling is that Bill should be getting more torque due to the 4 into 4's and more HP due to the better heads. I have ported Trick Flow TW's. I agree that the 1500 blower is a limitation but it should flow enough air for about 450 FWHP or close to 400 RWHP.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bill -

Your compression ratio might be a good thing to calculate, as going to the bigger heads might have inadvertently lowered it. That's great if you're going to big boost later on, but might be hurting you with the mild 5lbs you're currently running. I'd try the smaller pulley and see where you end up.

SCT basically has two types of tuning, one where they try to match up your setup, and another where their top tuners come out and fine-tune your particular setup. You might want to go with the latter, as your setup doesn't seem to fit the typical profiles contained in the chips.

I think the comparisions against the 4.6 Cobra motor aren't really valid, as those are running 8psi of boost, are intercooled, and are DOCH motors.

I'd say go with the smaller pulley and see what kind of #s that yields.

Here's a link to the graphs of all runs:

http://home.comcast.net/~dj14901/bill-dyno-large.jpg

DJ

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Originally posted by Mike Noyes:
Sal

Bill has the 1500 KB as I do. My Dynojet numbers were 412 RWTQ and 363 RWHP at a little over 5psi. My torque curve takes a big dump at 4000rpm which is why the low HP, but I get over 400 RWTQ at only 2300 rpm. My feeling is that Bill should be getting more torque due to the 4 into 4's and more HP due to the better heads. I have ported Trick Flow TW's. I agree that the 1500 blower is a limitation but it should flow enough air for about 450 FWHP or close to 400 RWHP.
Mike, I agree his numbers are low, I just don't think they are that far off the norm for that combo. I wouldn't really say that AFR 185s are "better" than ported TWs. I use AFRs on all my small block builds now, but I've made the same power with good TWs on the same combos back when TWs were popular.

The only way to see what's up with the car, is to bring it to me and let's go over it and get it on the dyno for me you custom tune (can ya tell I really wanna tune his car?). :D

·
Registered
718 Posts
What you need to play with are timing and fuel tables, these two things will show greatest gains. If you have someone who is real good at tuning then adjust MAF table..car will be night and day with this corrected. By adjusting these you don't need to change injector slopes or ci in program and car will run great.

I gained @ 30HP just from tuning through my EEC tuner...a 331ci motor needs it especially one that blown!

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
I would compare your compression ratio to Mike Noyles 331. Compression ratio is a linear power enhancement unless you have detonation. THis will tell you if you are low on HP or not. If you are running 8:1 with 5 psi and he is running 9:1 and 5 psi - that's a 30-40 hp difference, Right? Then the fine tuning would bring you over the 400 hp mark.

·
8,275 Posts
Trevor

Bill has very slightly higher compression that I do. Mine is at 8.4:1 and I think Bill is at around 8.7:1. From my experience you will not get good performance gains from a 'canned' custom chip. I have spent money on those and have been extremely dissappointed. I even bought one from Kenne Bell. You need to go to someone who understands the Kenne Bell and what parameters to adjust in the fuel and spark tables. I have had these discussions on the forum before and have been nicely told that I don't know my head from a hole in the ground so I won't get into specifics but my calibration done by LaRoccas Performance was worth more than 80 ftlbs and 50 HP at the wheels over the stock EEC A9L calibration. If Bill is seeing basically nothing over the stock calibration then I think he has some good potential for gains with a tune by someone who is experienced with Kenne Bells.

DJ, do you have the HP and TQ curves vs rpm? The link you posted has HP vs mph which is tough to interprete. Thanks....

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mike....should just listen to you in the first place. I like taking the longer route. Just think of the education I will end up with.
People will want to talk to me and ask questions, because I will be experienced.
This Dyno place was more of a rent the dyno for a day and do it yourself.
How do they set-up a car to a custom chip.
Set things on the verge of deonation and back off , burn a chip.
At least I know right now, that I am running safe.
I need to address the traction lock problem first.
Then I will look into a chip burning procedures and find out what they are all about.
Sal, I'm sure you are well experienced in tuning cars. And I do appreicate your help and offer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts