Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the car going Jan 1. Jan 8th the next door neighbor dropped off the 10 month old babies sleep and nap schedule to my wife. It states that the babies bedroom window is the one next to the front door of there house. It is about 30-35 feet from my driveway where I start my car from. The letter goes on to say nap times range from 2-5pm for 1-2 hours, bedtime is 7:30 and a pink piece of paper will be put in the window to indicate when the baby is down.

Anyone with any neighbor advice.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
You should probably go along to be neighborly. We've been on both sides of this so I can see where she's coming from. A screaming baby can take someone to the brink plus it looks like she's only asking for a few hours of quiet a day. I'd give her a break.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
430 Posts
My neighbor to my right, both husband and wife, are police officers. One of them works during the day, and the other works at night requiring him to sleep during the day. Bummer! The good news is that they are moving soon!

About your problem... I would also respect the baby sleep time. Hey, have the mother put up a green piece of paper when it's time to do a 50 yard burnout!!!! Yeeeeeeeehaaaaaa!

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Sounds pretty unreasonable to me. If you are being deprived of the use of your car, maybe you should drop off a schedule of when you would like to use your car?
I'm sure your car isn't the only noise the baby needs to get used to at nap time. Is she going to give the schedule to the UPS driver? The kids coming home from school and making noise?

Perhaps she would be better off to soundproof the babies room as much as possible during nap time to avoid waking the child? Or let the baby get used to sleeping with some noise around, as we did with our kids.

IMHO, you need to stick to your guns and remind the neighbor that you have rights too. Most cities have noise ordinances and as long as you aren't breaking the noise limit then you should be able to use the car as you see fit. Or course, limiting burn-outs in the neighborhood during nap time might help to keep the peace.
And a little compromise might be in order, but limiting your use every evening at those times is out of line in my opinion.

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts
Mike,

I would resist the temptation to automatically tell them to screw off. While you may have every right to do so, the decent thing to do is to take the higher road. So, if it is naptime for the baby, dont sit there in the driveway blipping your throttle or dont choose that time to tune the engine. If you think you will be running the engine for a long while, knock on the neighbors door and tell them what your planning on doing. If you want to drive the car and it is naptime, start the car and slowly drive away. Certainly nobody could complain about that.

Take this from personal experience, as I was a hothead for most of my life, be the better person here and you will feel good about yourself and your car.

Take care.

Tom

·
Premium Member
17,839 Posts
I think Tom has the right idea. There is no moral or legal requirement for you to follow the babies schedule. But you don't have to be a jerk, either.

Suggest to mom that the baby have a radio on in the room when he's sleeping. That way he gets used to a little noise and it never bothers him. It worked for my kids. We could vacume tha hall outside their door and they never woke up.

Also, promise not to complain when the baby has colic all night ;)

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts
Mike,
The baby sleep schedule won't last. Babies grow up. I'd try everything to respect it and I'd also expect to collect some markers on it one day.
The neighbor, on the other hand, is setting herself up for failure. Babies only need total silence to sleep if that's how you train them. If they get used to noise, noise doesn't bother them. If you shield them from it, it actually makes them more sensitive to it.
Let me guess. Her first?
That said, in the interest of neighborhood harmony and your own happiness, I wouldn't let it get to me and I'd just do everything I could to make her understand you're trying to get along.
I creep down my street in Naga and wave to all the neighbors and they wave back. Once I turn the corner tho....WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,315 Posts
I think Bob has the right idea. I'd also think of letting the neighbours know that it would be great if the two of you could work together in the spirit of being neighbourly, even though none of that is required within the law.

If your neighbour has ever done anything unruly noise wise, now would be the time to table that - ie lawn cutting times/dates, kids shreiking/making noise in the yard, etc.

- SB

·
OT Moderator
13,931 Posts
I know this is a touchy situation. What I want to ask is this. Did the neighbor that brought over the schedule do it is a neighborly fashion, or was she pissy about it? How do you get along with these neighbors? If she was courteous in her request, then I would try and heed the schedule as much as possible (within reason, because as stated above you have rights too). The last thing you want to do is get on bad terms with your direct neighbor. I know what you are going through, as I myself live in a zero lot line type nieghborhood where all the houses are extremely close together.
Just do your best, and use your judgement to try and keep peace. It's not worth making an enemy out of it. My 2 cents.

Hope this helps, Rob.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,435 Posts
I have a 9 month old who is a very light sleeper. Trust me - you don't want to mess with a sleep deprived mamma bear! Especially when she's up every couple hours all night long every day, etc, etc.

I see where they're coming from, and I think you'd be a perfect example of the FFR community by complying with their requests.

I guess I can see the other side too - if they didn't want neighbors, they should have moved to the country...

Still, I think they'll notice if you are really careful with the noise while their baby is sleeping and they'll be extreemly appreciative of you being courteous...

-Mike

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I plan to try my best to work on minimizing their discomfort. I have since talked with the husband and it went pretty well.When I suggested that he soundproof the window he even came back with "would dynamat help"?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I"m trying to resist a smartaXX reply here. It's killing me, but I would try to work with them if at all possible. Like someone else said the babys sleep habits will change in the not to near future. Sounds like they are really trying to work with you too. It's only temporary. I used to work graves and was always being woke up by something beyond my control and had a lot of trouble sleeping. Makes everyone grouchy!! Good luck

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
I'd try to find some middle ground. Be the better neighbor and at least consider the hours that she says her baby is sleeping. Realisticly though, if you want to go some where in your car, then that is your right. I agree that this is a tough one.

-Dan

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
When my babies would'nt sleep (long ago) I used to put them in the car and go around the neighborhood. Offer her your going around the neighborhood services. Have her put the yellow flag out.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I think she was being neighborly. She could have caused some major tension by calling the police straight away. I see this as a way to know when the baby is sleeping.

I assume you relationship with them is fine. Especially the remark mfrom the husband about the dynamat.

Like Naga said, babies grow up. If you plan to live there for any length of time, I see it as a decent way to develop a relationship with them.

Bottom line, I think she was being courteous. Let us know how it goes.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,177 Posts
Playing a radio near the baby does work (been there done that).
To prevent any further problems,,,,Give the hubby a big screen TV and a 2 year package of all the big time sports games (super bowl etc).This way constant yelling (go,go,go touchdown!)in the house,PLUSSSS he will be watching all the best sports instead of procreating another baby (Big Grin)....

·
5,573 Posts
I think thats pretty cool. Thats saying "I know you are going to be noisy and thats your right...but I'll let you know when it would be bad for me". Thats better than going right to trouble from day one. I would do my best to follow it. As some said...they change pretty fast. There's babying a baby noise wise, and there's 4 into 4's 30 feet from the window. That would wake anyone.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
As the father of a 9 1/2 month old and a Cobra owner, I'd say that was rather rude of the neighbor. I'd have no problems whatsoever with a neighbor coming over to talk to me and express their concers. I'm happy to help out. But to just drop off a "nap schedule" as if it was an order, that's rather rude. My son is on a nap schedule too. In fact, it's quite similar to the one your neighbor is on.

First, as you've done, I'd talk to them face to face. Politely. From their perspective, and as others have said, a baby that age deprived of their nap is a living hell. Trust me. :D But you own your car and have a right to drive it when you want. You shouldn't be held prisoner by your neighbors' childs' nap schedule.

Is your car really that loud? My car has a basically unmuffled 351W pretty worked over. You can hear it in the house, but it doesn't wake my son up. Regardless, is your driveway or street sloped? My driveway is on a downhill. What I do when my son is taking a nap, or even if he isn't, is roll the car out of the garage and down the driveway. So I'm out in the street when I start it. Is that possible for you? If not, maybe start it as quietly as you can and immediately idle away from the house.

Steve

·
Registered
922 Posts
Mike,

NAGA is right. My boys were always exposed to noise when sleeping and now they would sleep through a nuclear blast. (Try explaining that to the mother though). She needs to get one of those noise makers and turn it up a little each day.

Ron

1 - 20 of 36 Posts