Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about finished and will probably register in the next couple of weeks...big sigh. However, am I going to have trouble with the DMV because of my decision not to make provisions for windshield wipers? I will under the impression that this was optional and I recently heard a dirty rumor otherwise. Can anyone shed some light on this so that I can sleep tonight?

thanks,
PJ

·
Grand bodger
509 Posts
Hi PJ,

Had-em on mine, not sure about it being a requirement. One of the more knowledgeable AZ members will answer with more authority. Boat type clip-ons will work if you must have something. You could also post in the "ask Gordon" section, he will steer you right.

Good luck ... Dave

·
850 Posts
PJ,

NOT a requirement in AZ. Bring ALL documents especially the VIN of the donor car and the receipts for the purchase of the motor. That is the one thing they were really strict about. It should cost you about $25.00 to register the car. Your REG will say 1965 Shelby Cobra on it.....

·
343 Posts
Don't have them on mine. Wasn't a problem. I suggest going to the Greenfield MVD. At least they knew what a kit Cobra was. 15min in and out with a level II inspection and a vin #. Since Levy racing built mine I didn't have the papers that Chris is talking about. The lady inside that reg it was kind of clueless but that only took about 15 min also and I walked out with my plates.
Any more ? post here or email me.
good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can sleep tonight! Thanks for all the advice, not just on this topic but throughout the course of the build. I hated to miss the party on Sat but hopefully I can hook up with a few on you on a ride sometime in the near future.

Patrick

·
Senior Charter Member
818 Posts
none for me and passed no problem...

·
FFCobra Fanatic
578 Posts
Patrick,
Make sure that the numbers on your MSO match the numbers that are attached to your car somewhere. Either the FFR supplied VIN plate or as I understand the newer MarkIII's have the number printed on the chassis somewhere.

When you get there dont ask them any questions that you may not like the answer to. Like "do you require windshield wipers?" because then they will go and look it up, then you may be screwed. Ask me how I know this.

Good Luck,
Steve V.

·
343 Posts
Yeah like Steve said. Keep your mouth shut. Name ,rank and serial number. Answer only when spoken to. :D :D
good luck and let us know how it went.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
777 Posts
PJ,
I just went thru the process a month ago. "Officially" you only need a Level I inspection.

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faqs/scripts/faqs.asp?section=vi

The MVD manual has a page on "Kit Cars" and specifically says that you only need the "Manufacture's Certificate of Ownership". You should have gotten that with the Kit from FFR. If not call them.

You can get a Level I inspection at any MVD office without an appointment and free. You will have to pay $5 for the VIN tag. At the Kinmgan office the Level I inspector had been told by the Level II inspector that it had to be a Level II. This is not per their own manual. A Level II inspection is $25 plus $5 for the VIN tag. But when I finally got an appointment with the Level II inspector at the Port-of-Entry on Wednesday's only she only charged me for the VIN Tag.

You will get paperwork from the Inspector that you will have to take inside to the MVD office. There they were confused as to how to register. After several phone calls to Phoenix, since it was a "replica" they insisted that it be registers as what it represented "A 1965 Ford Replica". So the title states: Year of Manufacture - 1965, Make: Ford, Model: Replica.

They asked for receipts for the kit, motor and transmission and if you paid sales tax. They got me for sales tax on about $25,000, even thought the stated value was $35K and receipts added up to $29K. Go figure. The VLT (Vehicle License Tax) was only $10 since it is a 1965. So that is good. They will ask you to surrender the Mfg Cert of Origin, but the Level II inspector suggested that I ask for them to make a copy and to return the original. They did but stamped it "CANCELLED" so I'd suggest you make a copy before you go in.

You'll need a "Restricted Use 3-Day Permit" to drive the car to the MVD office. You can get this on line at https://az.gov/webapp/permit3/start.do
It cost $1.

The Level II inspection was only looking for proof of ownership and to make sure there were no stolen parts. Windshield wipers are a requrement by Az law but the inspection did not include an inspection of the car for the required equipment. This is an "enforcement" issue, I was told by the inspector. You could be stopped and ticketed if you don't have windshield wipers. See this link:
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/00957.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

Hope this helps, If you need emissions compliance your on your own. I don't know this side of the process.

Good luck,
Jay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts