Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Master?
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a little extra free time now that I don't work on the Cobra every evening and weekend day, so I started to mess with some of the in-car and out of car video we took.

This is the first event with the body on not my best driving but I had both in-car and out of car video of the same run so I combined the two for a pretty cool video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z5NrR9Glt4

My business partner Kirk co-drives the Cobra at SCCA solo events and I put our two best runs from an event to create a heads up race, It is very close Kirk is on the left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KRYNae0ybo

enjoy
Todd S.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Thanks - I needed that :)

·
near graduate!
575 Posts
Awesome!

I just can't enough of the track vids and I absolutely can't wait till Spring! I love how you were able to keep up with the Lambo through the curves, but DAMN! He pulled away on the straight so easy.. I guess high horsepower and a slippery silhouette really do make a difference!

·
Master?
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Lambo video is my buddy Kirk driving, lucky him to chase a lambo. I wish I were driving that session.
Thanks
Todd

·
Charter Member
6,158 Posts
todd,
In the Lambo video, was it cold or wet out? Seemed kinda slick in the turns.

You shoulda had the lambo. I took out a F360 Challenge Stradale. Those guys usually dont push the full limits, too much $$$$ on the line!

·
Master?
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was wet, had just stopped raining that morning and there are a few corners that have poor drainage. The car can be a handfull real quick, Kirk helped build the car and is a good driver but I was watching and from the pavilion and I thought he was off, It was a discomforting feeling to say the least. I won't be putting myself in that position for a long time. On the one hand I want to share the car, it is soo much fur to drive, but I don't want to be in the position where someone else crashes the car.( that should be saved for me) We get alot of track time at ACC we both instruct for Laps inc. I did not think he would push my car hard enough to get in trouble. There is another video of the same day with me driving the cobra and Kirk in his student's supercharded Elise, He overdrove that a bit also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oumOwU4g9w
Todd S.

·
Charter Member
6,158 Posts
he has a bunch of issues, he uses only 70% of the track and early apexs a lot. That's why he was squirrely at the speed when you were behind. You could of passed him a 100 times easily.
You have a nice line, very smooth driving, seems like the car has quite a bit more!
Have fun,
Trevor

·
Premium Member
5,806 Posts
Todd,

Thank you for the videos, they are REALLY great! You are a talented driver.

I'll never have the skills (nor is my car built with this in mind) to take on a track like that, but it is really cool to feel like you are in the seat and try and anticipate your driving decisions.

Thanks again,

Sean

·
Master?
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks guys for the compliments. Trevor I stayed behind the Lotus for so long just to get video of Kirk driving the Elise. His race car is a 89 toyota supra and he can drive the wheels off that. I bust on him all the time about his rookie moves in my car and the Lotus, can't wait for spring.
Todd

·
Master?
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Charter Member
6,158 Posts
Youre right! he can drive the supra. Wow, that's inpressive. That was a definate 9/10ths. I guess we forget how hard it is to drive the cobra. OR it takes time to get used to the nervousness. Is that you with the body off?

What he was doing in the Elise, who knows, maybe not paying attention.

Everytime I drove someone elses car, they seemed so stable compared to mine, but lacked power. I never timed the other cars, so I dont know if I was running slower or faster.

·
Master?
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HEy Trevor, yes that is my FFR go-kart. That was my first Track event with the car had solo raced it a couple times. That was a great day so exciting and First time out was FTD. I really can't wait for spring!!
Todd

·
Master?
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trevor, I was thinking about what you said "I guess we forget how hard it is to drive the cobra." it is so true these cars can make a good driver look like a rookie or worse. I let another friend co drive the roadster, good driver his race car is a 550 hp 02 z-06, he spun the car the first time he turned the wheel at what looks like 20mph it was pathetic he picked it up by the end of the day and was about 2 sec. off my time. He wants me to build him one he said it was about as much fun as he ever had driving, it was a great compliment for the car. I have been very fotunate to drive a varity sports cars at the track. Fox vally Motorcars has sponsored me for many yeas now and the use me and other Laps inc. instructors at their track events and they have alway let me drive what the bring and many times customer cars. FVM also sent me to Lotus Elise school taught by the lead Lotus test Driver and a couple others. That was a great 2 day school at ACC in joliet Il. That is a fun car to drive. Some of the real impressive cars I have driven are: for pure thrust that never ends was the Lambo Murci lp640 another nice Lambo was the Gallardo Superalegra(sp). I drove a Exige S great car, another great handler are spec miatas a little slow but still fun. I have had way more fun driving the roadster .
happy holidays
Todd

·
Charter Member
6,158 Posts
I think the car becomes more fun as the weight comes down. All the other cars I have driven are 1000+ more lbs, Z06, viper, ferrari 355 challenge. You feel that heavy mass around the track - BUT it also gives back the rock solid stability.
I havent had a try at the Ariel Atom SC, but my guess it is the most fun you will ever have!

·
Master?
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree the lighter weight equalls more fun to drive. I have ridden in this guys Atom sc honda powered, that was a blast. I rode with him in the Atom before I finished my car and I prayed my roadster would be as fun. We have been on the track together a few times and he tells me he can't keep up. I think it needs more tire and he is not running a "R" compound. He says it is twichy I would like to swap rides and find out myself!!. Here is a video he is on a hot lap, I get on track right behind him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWQc58D2C1k

1 - 15 of 15 Posts