Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this in my other thread about my first go-cart ride, but thought i would re-post under a new topic. My fuel guage is pegged way past the F with only about 4 gallons in the tank.

I went to the Autometer website to look at there tech downloads. All their fuel guages are shown being grounded to the fuel tank ground. Does this mean i need to run the ground wire off the back of the guage all the way back to the ground pigtail on the tank and then to the frame. I have the fuel guage grounded to the frame behind my dash and the ground on the sender pigtail is grounded directly to the frame in the rear.

What is the correct way to wire?

·
Just Pluggin Along
1,175 Posts
I have the Autometer Sport-comp fuel gauge using the donor Ford sending unit (16 ohm empty, 158 ohm full). The sender is grounded to the frame in the back and the gauge is grounded behind the dash. Everything works fine. Do you have the correct gauge for the ford sender?

[ July 14, 2004, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Lilnuke ]

·
Junior Charter Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question Lilnuke. I will email TriState to see what they send with the guages. Can i tell what i have by looking at the guage itself? I have tossed the box.

·
Just Pluggin Along
1,175 Posts
One thing to do is use a multimeter to check the resistance of your sender (full and empty) and determine which one that you have. Then you can look up the gauge (should be a sticker with a P/N somewhere) on the Autometer site and see if it is a match with your sender.

I am not familiar with the Autometer vintage gauges, but I know there are at least three different sport-comp fuel gauge P/N's depending on which sender you have. As Chuck mentions, another option is to purchase a new sender to match the gauge that you already have. Autometer also sells a universal sender to match their gauges.

good luck,

Cai

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you find that you in fact have mismatched the sender and the gauge, it is probably cheaper to change the gauge. I think autometer charged me $30 to change the gauge. Just measure the ohm readings while you move the float thru its full range and let them know the readings at full and empty. BTW, my gauge just went off the dial past full at a track event. The baffling around the pickup broke loose and took out the sender. No more used tanks for me as that is the second time it has happened. New tank is only $119.

·
5,573 Posts
note that the instructions that came with my vintage set had the wrong specs for the sender.

From my other posts:

The instructions that come with the Fuel guage state that it requires a 33 ohm full and 240 ohm sender. Fact is there are two versions of the same guage available.

201011 - 2" Fuel Level 240-33 Ohms (This one works with aftermarket senders)

201975 - 2" Fuel Level 16-158 Ohms (This one works with the newer Ford senders such as those supplied by Forte's)

By default FF ships the 201975 but its instructions are wrong wrt sender specs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.