Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Autometer Classic fuel gauge has always operated intermittently since I finished the car. My sender was new, as was the gauge. I checked the ground on the rear harness at the taillamps, but it seems fine. Any suggestions where I should check next?

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
My fuel gauge does the same thing. If I tap on the gauge at start-up, it works fine the rest of the drive. From what I've read here, it might just be the nature of the gauge. :(
I'm going to live with mine for now.

Skip

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Ed mine got funny when tank got down to less then 1/2 full. going over a bump or such would make it read irratic. What I found was when I put the sender in the tank somehow the arm got slightly bend and the float was hanging up when tank got low.
When you notice the problem try banging on the bottom of the tank. Notice a change it could indicate problem in tank with sender. Try same tapping on gauge. This would lead to a gauge problem if it started working.

·
4,342 Posts
Same here. Not on the road yet, but gauge doesn't register until I tap it, then works fine until the next time it's energized. I'll be calling Autometer about a new one.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
It seems to be an "Autometer" problem. Same issue here, also with the water temp. It doesn't instill confidence.

Maybe a tiny rubber hammer on a lanyard hanging from the dash would be a good option for these gauges :D

c

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Mine does the same

1 - 6 of 6 Posts