Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by stating that I regularly track my 2017 BMW M3 - and I'm obsessed with the DCT paddles. I've driven other manual //M cars in the past, and as sacrilegious as it sounds, the auto DCT has stolen my heart permanently.

Goal: (Automatic with driver-selected gears via paddles or gear-shift) Track-Only Type 65 Coupe-R

What I'm looking to resolve before I put in a buy for a Coupe-R is which transmission I should go with that will fit the frame and have manual mode gear selection options. I'm not looking to drop a DCT of any sort into the frame, as I imagine the fab-work would be preposterous and I'm not really looking to mate a DCT to any of the supported Ford engine listings. I saw recently that FP may sell their GT500's 5.2 Predator with its DCT, but I imagine it'll cost a small fortune.

So I've come to y'all - any input on automatic transmissions that fit (or require minimal frame modification) the Coupe-R (that fit the allowed Ford motor line-up) that also allows for manual drive modes via paddles?

I've only been able to find two real solutions:

• a TCI 6X 6 Speed that's based on the GM 4L80E mated to a Ford small block (can't find info on which engines it actually mates to so if y'all have any of that I'd love it) > pair with the TCI EZ-TCU controller > use the TCI Paddle Kit.
  • a 6R80 mated to any of the Ford small-blocks > use something like the US Shift Quick 6 which supports "Manutronic Push-Button / Paddle /H-Gate Shifting > find a compatible paddle shifter kit that fits my selected wheel (something like the PCS Paddles) or if paddles are impossible, a Lokar Automatic Electronic Shifter that allows both 'automatic driving' and 'sport mode (i.e. user-controlled shifting)'
I know this is a little out there, I've combed both the forums for some answers and only came across a few mentions of people using autos in a manual/automatic setting. I'm incredibly capable when it comes to all of the technical and wiring aspects of a kit car project like this, but I have next to no experience with transmission and engine selection and mating.

Looking forward to seeing what y'all think - excited to put my engineering degree to work on something of this caliber.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Let me preface this by stating that I regularly track my 2017 BMW M3 - and I'm obsessed with the DCT paddles. I've driven other manual //M cars in the past, and as sacrilegious as it sounds, the auto DCT has stolen my heart permanently.

Goal: (Automatic with driver-selected gears via paddles or gear-shift) Track-Only Type 65 Coupe-R

What I'm looking to resolve before I put in a buy for a Coupe-R is which transmission I should go with that will fit the frame and have manual mode gear selection options. I'm not looking to drop a DCT of any sort into the frame, as I imagine the fab-work would be preposterous and I'm not really looking to mate a DCT to any of the supported Ford engine listings. I saw recently that FP may sell their GT500's 5.2 Predator with its DCT, but I imagine it'll cost a small fortune.

So I've come to y'all - any input on automatic transmissions that fit (or require minimal frame modification) the Coupe-R (that fit the allowed Ford motor line-up) that also allows for manual drive modes via paddles?

I've only been able to find two real solutions:

• a TCI 6X 6 Speed that's based on the GM 4L80E mated to a Ford small block (can't find info on which engines it actually mates to so if y'all have any of that I'd love it) > pair with the TCI EZ-TCU controller > use the TCI Paddle Kit.
  • a 6R80 mated to any of the Ford small-blocks > use something like the US Shift Quick 6 which supports "Manutronic Push-Button / Paddle /H-Gate Shifting > find a compatible paddle shifter kit that fits my selected wheel (something like the PCS Paddles) or if paddles are impossible, a Lokar Automatic Electronic Shifter that allows both 'automatic driving' and 'sport mode (i.e. user-controlled shifting)'
I know this is a little out there, I've combed both the forums for some answers and only came across a few mentions of people using autos in a manual/automatic setting. I'm incredibly capable when it comes to all of the technical and wiring aspects of a kit car project like this, but I have next to no experience with transmission and engine selection and mating.

Looking forward to seeing what y'all think - excited to put my engineering degree to work on something of this caliber.
I think you should contact Mike Forte (forum vendor) he supplies a lot of parts for FFR builds and is the go to guy for trans related options.
HTH
CB

1 - 2 of 2 Posts