Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Auto tranny dudes chime in please (I need pictures)

805 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Sinatra Fan 
#1 ·
Have some questions for you auto tranny guys:

1) Can you show me pics of your tunnel and footbox?

2) What shifter did you use?

3) What tranny and converter did you use?

4) What rear gearing did you use?

5) Were there mods needed to install or clear the FFR frame?

6) What tranny mount did you use?

I am planning another build for next winter and want to start now. Thanks

[ July 25, 2007, 04:52 AM: Message edited by: Sinatra Fan ]

#2 ·
sorry no pics for you, but i will say it was so easy to put in. stock aod tranny, all stock tranny mounts. i used the mustang shifter and it worked fine.
If I did it again, I would go auto, but have the tranny built and use a competition shifter so I can shift when i want to, I missed the joy of shifting with the stock mustang shifter.
tons of room in the footbox area.
Just put your foot to the floor and hold it there, the car just pulled!!
rear was stock 2.73 8.8.

#3 ·
Sorry, no pics either but I agree, it went in fairly easily. AOD behind a Windsor motor. I modified the tranny A-frame mount by making it more of a "T" (there is an previous post with pictures showing how to do this on this forum) also, had to grind off one tab on the transmission near the bellhousing on the drivers side. Also, the starter mount on the bellhousing ended up very close to the frame so I had to grind off a little there too. I used the transmission mount that came in the motor mount kit from FFR and it bolted up perfectly. I have IRS with 3.27 gears but obviously haven't driven the car yet so I can't say how it will perform. Lots of room in the footbox area for my big feet. Actually, the motor/tranny went in quite easily all in all.

#5 ·
I have an AOD that I rebuilt and put in a B&M shift kit, I have a B&M Tork Master 2400 convertor, I used a Lokar 6" floor mount shifter, I have 3.27 gears in a 3-link rear end, and I used the Prothane engine and transmission mounts. I had to cut two tabs off the transmission to get it to fit. I only have a few miles on it driving around the neighborhood, so I can't say how it will perform. The only pictures I have are of the shifter;

and of the tunnel where the shift lever and TV cable mount

I'm probably less than an hour from you if you ever want to stop by and take a look.

#6 ·
ttt, but there's more...

Do you think a classic shifter (say from a '65 stang) work with a AODE tranny?

After looking at another thread, I found that you can buy a shifter assembly (here's one of the pieces):

Will this work?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.