Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just thought I would give some encouragement to those stil building there cars. I was up at Mt Baker WA. last sunday and on street tires 3:73 gears with the super duty T5 trany I was For a Novice puting some real heat on a couple of the more experienced drivers up there and might I ad they were on slicks! My best run was 38.9 and they were low 30's with the best time some where in the 29's for a full race and exp driver. A little more track time and a set of slicks and I'll have'em shakin in there shoes. The other cars were small sprites with 4cyl and a miatta. One comment I get often is that there is no body roll when cornering hard she stays planted. I do advise a racing seat though because part of my problem is being tossed around in the stock seats. I find myself trying to brace myself instead of driving the car and at 30-40 seconds per run you don't have time for that. I do recomend joining a car club and participating in these. It's a real blast to drive competitivley in a controlled enviroment or should I say with out all those red and blue flashing lights.HA HA HA. Can you say "I need Slicks". My wife is starting to drive the car and she's likeing it. So it shouldn't be to hard to bump those slicks up to the nesecity list. OK Ive said to much.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Now we're really starting to have fun, next step should be to try a driving school at a race track. Best to start off on street tires for the first time or so. Oh, and BTW, don't get "Hoosier" DOT R tires, you'll be spoiled and broke$$$ for life.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,814 Posts
Michael,

I'd love to find out more about local autox events. Please go to the NW page and get in touch with Mark Bridgwater (screen name: cobywashington), he is the Seattle area FFROG members list holder / organizer. It should be fun to get all of these cars together sometime.

·
Junior Charter Member
771 Posts
Michael,

Congrats.

I'm interested in doing some Auto-X'ing once my build is done and shaken out. I noticed that you are running 3.73 rear gearing. How did that work out for you? Did you build your car for track/Auto-X in mind? Any other upgrades?

Thanks,

Marc

·
Junior Charter Member
771 Posts
Michael,

Congrats.

I'm interested in doing some Auto-X'ing once my build is done and shaken out. I noticed that you are running 3.73 rear gearing. How did that work out for you? Did you build your car for track/Auto-X in mind? Any other upgrades?

Thanks,

Marc
Sorry for the double post. Forgot to turn on e-mail notification again!

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
this car can be a good autocross car, sturdy and fast, ive got over 750 runs on mine, and here is a recent result showing the fastest time of 218 drivers:
http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Results/2004/Championship/round10.html

this is on DOT legal tires, able to beat cars on slicks on a good day.

my car is 100% streetable- i drive it to every event and take dates in it. its pretty basic, IRS retrofit, sway bars, warmed 302. awesome car. have fun!

james

·
Junior Charter Member
1,066 Posts
James - you smoked everybody! Great job! With 750 runs that makes me belive the old saying that practice makes perfect. - Frank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts