Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,300 Posts
Good thread .I got as close as I could. I may go with a smaller diameter roll bar when my next couple projects are finished.

·
3,672 Posts
Pat, I went on the conservative side when I lowered my roll bar 1-3/4". As for the rectangular tail lights it doesn't take that much work to install them, do keep in mind that the rectangular tail lights are not as bright as the round tail lights.
289 FIA, your correct in that all of the original Cobras had fiber glass foot box's.
Don

·
Registered
765 Posts
If your going to do the Cobra surge Tank then the water outlet to the radiator is on the Drivers side.

·
3,672 Posts
If your going to do the Cobra surge Tank then the water outlet to the radiator is on the Drivers side.
Finish Line sells a surge tank kit that allows you to set it up for left or right side outlet:
http://www.finishlineaccessories.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=112
and here is another tank from Finish Line that's not quite as original looking
as I would like:
http://www.finishlineaccessories.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=110
Don

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
So I presume you'd also need to change the radiator?

To a driver's side top inlet?

Best,
Matt
Yes, the original style radiators had the inlet at the top driver's side and the outlet at the bottom passenger side. You would either need to find a radiator with that configuration or have one built with the proper tank configuration on it.

I also noticed on most original Cobra's that they have hydraulic clutch/brake pedals (floor mounted) and mount the remote reservoirs on the drivers side wheel well just above the headers.
Wiper motors (when used) were mounted on the driver's foot box.

On the side vents, I've measured a Kirkham, a Shelby 4000, and an original and none of them match up, as I think many of the originals were made differently also.
Also, the sidepipes come out through a cut-out in the side where they would have to be removed to remove the body, unlike the FF5 cut out which is a slot to the bottom of the body.

Bob

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
15,001 Posts
I may get flamed here but I think that FFR has not only improved the frame but many other aspects of the original and especially some master craftsmen like Garage Freak, Don Wright and others have built some world class hotrods. Frenched lights, hoodscoop changes, removed the quickjacks and made body flush etc.....

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168892&highlight=garagefreak

Here's a link with some great pics, I couldn't find his original graduation post from 2005. IMHO both that car and Don's blows away any original in the looks department, and probably perfofmance too.

·
Premium Member
18,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Non-Authentic

The nice thing about FFR's product is that it is like a canvas upon which the artist can paint his picture. No "right or wrong". Do what you want.

Many people have done a lot of things to make their FFR look more authentic.
This thread is to summarize those changes.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
The problem is...the water pump inlet is on the drivers side. Much easier to just have the tank reversed with a cross flow radiator.

c

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Charlie,
yeah, I know the water pump outlet is on the driver's side. However, the originals had a real easy and clean way to deal with that. This thread is about what is authentic, not easy...:)

·
Scalded Cat
1,847 Posts
Hey Larry,
I thought we talked about this already?

427 big block in a 427 SC and etc in the 289 cars.

Jab, Jab

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Here's another useful site:
http://www.csxinfo.net/web/

BS...yep, you're right, but I'm betting they used a vertical flow radiator, and that didn't work well. I'll take my beatings for having the outlet on the other side :D
And if you think plumbing an FE using the slanted FF radiator design is easy.....hahahhaha

Here's a shot of my engine bay.

This is a great thread. Long overdue.

cheers,
c

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Another thing that is easy is paint the underside of the car Semi Gloss Silver especially inside the front fender above the header and behind the front wheel. Since the cars were aluminum this area was left bare. All the kit cars I have seen have been painted black. This is just a subtle thing to trick the eye.

·
Premium Member
18,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Small Block

Todd H,

Yes I know a small block that get 24 mpg just makes no authentic sense in a 427 body.

We'll see what the monster gets when it's on the road! You are doing a knock-out job by the way, don't let me kid you. (It's just envy.)

Charlie C

Your FFR is FANTASTIC!! Do you have a Class Graduation thread link??

LNJ

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Thanks Larry!
Graduate 84 of 2007, but my grad thread doesn't seem to work.

c

·
4,321 Posts
94 mods to do to get it to look like an orginal:eek:
Why not sell it and buy a Kirkham? Lot closer to an orginal than 94 mods:yes:

·
Premium Member
18,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
94 Mods

Roy,

Well you have a point, but most of us won't or don't want to do that many mods. More like a cafeteria; take what you want. The "low hanging fruit" would be what each person wants or can afford. Of course some could care less, and that's ok too.

Can we get to 100?

Larry

81 - 100 of 128 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.