Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Aussie RHD MK4 Build

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  alexg 
#1 ·
Hi All,

This is my first build post.. I'm dedicating the build to my daughter who tragically passed away at the tender age of 12, only two and a half years ago. My baby girl loved nothing more than to hear the rumbling sounds of a V8 or a revving Harley, so I'm sure she would approve. This is for you Jess!

I gathered now would be a good time to share my progress to date. I'm building a RHD Mk4 pre-converted by FFR.

Some of the challenges that I will be faced with include the following, but I know there will be far more.

1. Installation of Retractable seat belts.
2. RHD power steering rack. FF does not supply RHD racks.
3. Hand brake relocation. Although steering is converted, FF has not moved the handbrake mounts to the other side. I can already see it fouling with the prop shaft adapter.
4. Door latches - Possible issue with "Australian Design Rules" (ADR) maybe not allowing the use of these latches.
5. Lights - Pesky ADR rules at work again, lights must be ARD approved.
6. Steering column, although FF column is collapsible, I'm not yet sure if it will comply with the dreaded ADR.

Anyway, some photos.

Transport Commercial vehicle Vehicle Truck Crane

Wood Furniture Car Table Vehicle

Vehicle Car Automotive design Classic car Classic

Automotive design Vehicle Car Room Machine

Product Aerospace engineering Vehicle Space

Till next time!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Some Info...

...1. Installation of Retractable seat belts....
I used stock Mustang retractable belts.

I mounted the mechanisms in the center, near the trans tunnel, on the FFR harness mounts.

I attached the buckles to the FFR harness mounts on the outside.

I added an additional curved 3/4" tube at the back of the cockpit, just under the edge of the body, for the upper belt guide. In addition I moved the rear cockpit aluminum back to have cockpit accessible storage.

I had to take the belt off the re-tractor so I could turn the upper belt guide over for proper orientation. Once the spool is unraveled, while holding the spring tension, there is a pin that allows the belt to come off the spool so the guide could be turned.

Regards, Rick.

Retractable mount

Mount cover

Buckle mount

Guide mount

Belt

#6 ·
I used stock Mustang retractable belts.

I mounted the mechanisms in the center, near the trans tunnel, on the FFR harness mounts.

I attached the buckles to the FFR harness mounts on the outside.

I added an additional curved 3/4" tube at the back of the cockpit, just under the edge of the body, for the upper belt guide. In addition I moved the rear cockpit aluminum back to have cockpit accessible storage.

I had to take the belt off the re-tractor so I could turn the upper belt guide over for proper orientation. Once the spool is unraveled, while holding the spring tension, there is a pin that allows the belt to come off the spool so the guide could be turned.

Regards, Rick.

Retractable mount

Mount cover

Buckle mount

Guide mount

Belt

Nice work on the seat belt set ups.

#4 · (Edited)
Just some thoughts

Quote:
1. Installation of Retractable seat belts."

Follow Rick's lead - or - try to get a message to Dan Ziol on this forum. Both members have retractable belts in their cars.

2. RHD power steering rack. FF does not supply RHD racks"

Ford produces a RHD Mustang for export, and since the F5 was originally designed for donor parts, maybe a RHD Mustang part will work. 2nd option, look into the recent posts about electric power steering assist. Just FWIW, my MKII does NOT have power steering and there are no issue with driving or parking when set up right.

3. Hand brake relocation. Although steering is converted, FF has not moved the handbrake mounts to the other side. I can already see it fouling with the prop shaft adapter."

The hand brake can be relocated almost anywhere, including the frame rail under the door (see Fiero mod in the FAQ's).

4. Door latches - Possible issue with "Australian Design Rules" (ADR) maybe not allowing the use of these latches."

Look into the "bear-claw" type . . . not knowing what your ADR rules are but these are more like current model cars.

5. Lights - Pesky ADR rules at work again, lights must be ARD approved."

There are plenty of lights that meet "DOT" specs here in the states, and the retrofit of a "standard" type lamp should be straight forward. Headlights will take a standard 7" glass type.

6. Steering column, although FF column is collapsible, I'm not yet sure if it will comply with the dreaded ADR."

Once again, contact Rick or Dan about this item, they both (to the best of my recollection) have factory FORD type columns in their cars.

HTH

Doc :beerchug:

#5 ·
Hi All,

This is my first build post.. I'm dedicating the build to my daughter who tragically passed away at the tender age of 12, only two and a half years ago. My baby girl loved nothing more than to hear the rumbling sounds of a V8 or a revving Harley, so I'm sure she would approve. This is for you Jess!

I gathered now would be a good time to share my progress to date. I'm building a RHD Mk4 pre-converted by FFR.

Some of the challenges that I will be faced with include the following, but I know there will be far more.

1. Installation of Retractable seat belts.
2. RHD power steering rack. FF does not supply RHD racks.
3. Hand brake relocation. Although steering is converted, FF has not moved the handbrake mounts to the other side. I can already see it fouling with the prop shaft adapter.
4. Door latches - Possible issue with "Australian Design Rules" (ADR) maybe not allowing the use of these latches.
5. Lights - Pesky ADR rules at work again, lights must be ARD approved.
6. Steering column, although FF column is collapsible, I'm not yet sure if it will comply with the dreaded ADR.

Anyway, some photos.

View attachment 266657

View attachment 266665

View attachment 266697

View attachment 266705

View attachment 266713

Till next time!
Man, that is a list of ADR requirements. Good luck with getting it built and on the road in memory of your daughter.

Wade

#7 ·
Re Lighting: Google Daniel Stern Lighting. He discusses European spec headlights which will likely meet ADR specs, and should be readily available down-under. As for your other concerns, you'll certainly find the answers here: Australian Cobra Club - Club Cobra. But for sure, keep going with your build thread here; sounds very interesting, with some issues to resolve that we are normally not exposed to.

Cheers...and good luck!

#8 ·
There are a couple of Kiwi builds, they may be able to help with the steering rack. I know that they found something that works.

I found this:

"Approximately 250 right-hand-drive Mustangs were sold in Australia between 2001 and 2003. They were all converted in Australia by Tickford Vehicle Engineering under contract from Ford."

I doubt if you would find one of those cars, but maybe you could contact Tickford.

There is also a Mustang club that might be able to help. - Mustang Owners Club Australia Inc - Mustang Owners Club Australia

#11 ·
When I was researching for my 59 Jag, I found that Flaming River would have had no problems building a RHD rack. Lots of options with them, and although it would have been a custom rack, the pricing was not too bad. Since you will be having to pay an arm and a leg for shipping, what's another body part to pay for a custom rack ?

#14 ·
I've been in touch with flaming river and they can help. I've also have received help from a local steering service company and he allowed me around the back to measure just about every rack available in Australia. I found a power rack that might do the trick, some custom mounts will need to be made though.
Alex..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#12 ·
RHD Steering

Alex

I sourced my steering rack from Maval - part of Unisteer. They are a supplier to FFR. I needed to modify the mounting points, but otherwise it fitted in just fine. I found them really helpful.

Not sure what else I might be able to help you with, but feel free to ask away!

Best regards

Ian

#13 ·
Alex

I sourced my steering rack from Maval - part of Unisteer. They are a supplier to FFR. I needed to modify the mounting points, but otherwise it fitted in just fine. I found them really helpful.

Not sure what else I might be able to help you with, but feel free to ask away!

Best regards

Ian

Cheers Ian..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.