Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and comments. The biggest shock to me is that FFR for all practical purposes has abandoned the original 'donor concept' in favor of suppling eveything new in their 'complete kit' package (whose appeal I can understand). Guess I've been busy keeping my head buried wiring cars in my own area and not paying enough attention to what a 'completed kit' included. Shame on me....

I've also been in the process of developing a couple of new services which I hope to make available this summer. The website will also undergo a 'makeover' of information to put it more on par with Sergio's excellant design.

It is my goal to be relevant to the 'complete kit' FFR builder community as well as to continue providing 'donor harness' services upon request. I will keep you posted on my progress and continue to solicit your input in regards to 'complete kit' wiring requirements and services.

"the times they are a changing"

Art / WIREDIET.com

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Art,

The Donor kit hasn't been abandoned at all, they are still available and make up a good percentage of what we are building.

·
Junior Charter Member
989 Posts
Facts and Figures

Art,

The Donor kit hasn't been abandoned at all, they are still available and make up a good percentage of what we are building.
Hi Jim -

can we get some percentage of how many are donor based kists vs complete and so on?

Would like to hear how your market looks like.

E.g. how many % of total sold kists are GTM/ Coupe / Roadster / 33 / and that split into complete kit or donor based.

Thanks, Chris

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Chris,
I don't really have any info on the final numbers just what i see when I walk through the plant. But in general it seems recently like some weeks the MK4 is the best seller and some weeks its the 33. The 33s are all complete kits but the MK4s seem to me to be closer to an even split.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[email protected]

Thanks Jim that's what I thought - with the possible exception of using Detail Zones Telorvek system how are you going to wire a 4.6 FFR kit without the OEM engine harness, computer harness and fuel tank wires to the computer harness. Oh yeah don't forget the Data Link Connector.

Even in the 'complete kit' the above must be required (correct me if I'm wrong).

Whether the current cost of a complete professional WIREDIET is viable compared to a 'do it yourself' wirediet is another question and believe me I understand the budget concerns of many builders.

Let me just say this in defense of the expense - nobody at home takes it as far or as detailed to make it neat and tight, one example - no plastic insulated connectors or terminals, everything is professional grade non-insulated w/ heat shrink tubing.

Art / WIREDIET.com

·
15,282 Posts
Whether the current cost of a complete professional WIREDIET is viable compared to a 'do it yourself' wirediet is another question and believe me I understand the budget concerns of many builders.

Let me just say this in defense of the expense - nobody at home takes it as far or as detailed to make it neat and tight, one example - no plastic insulated connectors or terminals, everything is professional grade non-insulated w/ heat shrink tubing.

Art / WIREDIET.com
Or compared to an all-new after-market system. Your website says $975 for a modular diet plus $275 for an ECU reprogram = $1250. I can't remember exactly but it seems like that's right in line with what I paid Detail Zone. I'm sure your solution is a tad more plug-and-play than theirs, and I know from other installations I've seen that your work is very good. On the other hand, some guys have done some great DIY aftermarket wiring here by hiding the Telorvek panel and ECU wherever they want them, even under the trunk floor.

When the expenses of those two solutions are basically equal, the question boils down to pure personal preference and donor wire versus new custom wire. Again, I was perfectly pleased with my Detail Zone install, but would have gone with the wire diet if Roger had it figured out back at the time I was building.

Cheers, John

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,355 Posts

·
Victory is ours! Fite4it!
262 Posts
Art,

This actually brings up a another very good point as to after market and off-the-shelf harnesses. I am not as familiar with the Telorvek system, but have learned a great deal about the factory harness in working with you. Given the complexity of my build, I believe wiring my Roadster would have been more complicated using an approach other than factory wire diet.

I image that most builders would want most of the critical wiring to be of original factory descent and color coding for easier trouble shooting when issues arise. Taking the dieted factory harness approach, you can still bring your Roadster to a Ford service center or a qualified performance shop to get it checked out when all else fails. Most good ones are vary familiar original Mustang wiring and can diagnose issues much quicker than if you’re using a completely different harness with varying color codes.

In the other thread you started, I went over the details and complexities we encountered on my build, and how you went well out of your way to help address all of the issues (some that were not even related to you). I believe in no one end all solution for everyone (no monopolies) and think its important for people to have options available to them. However, I equally believe its important for everyone to know the details of those options so they can make the choice that‘s right for them. Again, knowing what I know now, I would go again with your factory wire diet approach without hesitation.

Alex

1 - 8 of 8 Posts