Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
You done such a great job at relatively good pace and short time, I just love to see it finished and not lose you in the forum.
Somehow the last %20 seems as hard as the first %80 for me...
Thanks for the confidence boost; I doubt I'd ever lose interest in the forum
or my car for that matter.

For the short time that I've been working in my new career, I've gained more
motivation to complete my car and have even picked up some ideas to make
it better.

Unfortunately, I can't elaborate on much on what we're doing for the customer.
They have a very strict non-disclosure policy and zero tolerance for photos/video
inside the facility.

It turns out that I'm not working on the race cars at all, but I'm very involved
in the final test of the Proto-type and production GT's. My job will be programming
all of the control modules and test of the car as it completes final assembly
(which may get me in the driver's seat for road and/or dyno test).

I've never been much of a Ford fan, but these cars are breathtaking.

I can't help but admire the design and style of this new GT. Everything from
the tire choice to the interior fabric options are absolutely stunning. I'm
fortunate enough to see some design changes from the first proto-type up
to the 17th (25?) version that cycle through the building on a daily basis.

Some not so secret info that might interest all of you is that Ford is using
a 7 speed Getrag transaxle that's about 30% shorter than a G96.00.

The tires are Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 that might as well be race slicks.
315 wide in the rear with huge rotors and 4 piston callipers that would make
most front braking systems look like entry level kits. The front gets 6 piston
Brembos. Everything on this car is 'big time'; it's a computer on wheels!

The seats are hardly split by a small waterfall. It's pretty much shoulder-
to-shoulder as the cabin is teardrop shaped.

The rear spoiler is a wicked multi-stage design that elevates, tilts, and also
features an airbrake. The ride height adjust is also cool with adjustable
spring rates on-the-fly. Both systems were developed by Multimatic (among
others).

These guys have treated me like gold and I've only been here a week. It's
a great atmosphere and most co-workers have a solid race/tuning/mechanical
background.

It has been an awesome ride so far, but I know it will get tough when the
build phase starts.

Sorry about the minimal and vague info; I'd rather not lose my job! :surprise:

I will however post some info about the LeMans race in a couple of weeks.
4 of the GT cars will be competing. Now that I have an interest in this
vehicle, I've somehow become interested in LMP racing.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I think we're all just a little jealous!
Have you been involved in sorting out the issues that the cars suffered at Daytona? Would love to see a strong finish at LeMans...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Not at all, I doubt we'll ever touch the race GT's around here as they are under care of the respective teams and crew chief(s) .

The closest I'll get is the race at Mosport in July where they'll have at least one car on location . It will be a company family event so I'd imagine I'll be able to grab some photos and video.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I can't help but get into some of this news with all the buzz happening
around the facility. I can't see myself watching this lap by lap, but
I'll definitely check in once in a while.

I'm more interested in the car than the race if I'm being honest.

The Starters for this year:

The Drivers and Cars:
#66 - Billy Johnson (US), Stefan Mücke (GER), Olivier Pla (FRA)
#67 - Marino Franchitti (GB), Andy Priaulx (GB), Harry Tincknell (GB)
#68 - Sébastien Bourdais (FRA), Joey Hand (US), Dirk Müller (GER)
#69 - Ryan Briscoe (AUS), Scott Dixon (NZ), Richard Westbrook (GB)

MEET THE MEN WHO WILL RACE THE FORD GTs AT LE MANS

FORD PLEASED WITH FIRST OUTING

The Ford Chip Ganassi Racing team took to the 8.5-mile Le Mans circuit for the first time on Sunday for the official test day ahead of the great 24-hour race, and according to FCGR's managing director, the outing was a success.
"We were really impressed by how our team was accepted and welcomed by the sanctioning body and scrutineering, and they were very complimentary of the cars and how they were presented," Mike Hull told RACER of the four-car Ford GT program. "It's our first time going there as a group, so we had no idea what to expect. I think we represented the Ford brand very well for our first day.

The fastest Ford GT placed sixth in the GTE-Pro class on Sunday (3:56.039), which wasn't as close to the class-leading Corvette C7.R (3:55.122) as Hull might have wanted, but with the difference in track experience between the brands, the Blue Oval spent the day learning while others added to their considerable knowledge at La Sarthe.
"In talking to our drivers and [FCGR team manager] Mike O'Gara and [race engineer] Brad Goldberg, we knew there was going to be a big learning curve, and that rang true," Hull added. "Our group of people were really patient and deliberate in working through our test plan so that when we return for race week, we can start by not being in a hole. That was the key to yesterday. It was about valuable track time and learning all we could so we can return and do everything right."

With a significant amount of information to gather during the test day, Hull credits the dual testing plan undertaken by FCGR's IMSA and WEC teams prior to Sunday for helping the Ford GTs get within one second of the defending class winners.
"We were lucky because we did a test at Road America before we went to go over items for Le Mans, and our WEC team did the same by going to Monza, and we went to those places with big straightaways to try some things before the Le Mans test and that was a help for us," he said. "When we rolled out at Le Mans, we had already simulated some of what we were going to see, and were better prepared that way in the configuration we thought we might race."
Reducing the gap to the factory programs from Corvette, Porsche, and Ferrari – all teams that ran ahead of the Fords at the test – will involve tweaking the setups that were honed at Road America and Monza and tried at Le Mans.
"Going forward with that configuration, we'll be working hard to develop that configuration to find more speed," Hull confirmed. "That's where we'll focus ourselves when we run those two days next week before we race."

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
I didn't realize LeMans was such a long circuit!
Can you even imagine what it was like before they put the chicanes in the Mulsanne straight?

The Nurburgring is the longest track ever. Although the old track is no longer run, lap times there, IIRC were in the 15 minute range. The new track is still 7-8 minute range and 12.8 miles long.

Europe has some serious race tracks.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
A taste of the funding that goes into this race. Each car will get brand new engines for the race. Supplied by Roush - Yates.

:surprise:

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
The team that I worked for went to Le Mans at least twice. The LMP cars were another area of the company that I worked for so not 100% sure it was only twice, but still, they were a very small private team and it cost more than $2 million dollars each time they went...just for that one race. It is ridiculous, and the guys said the French were VERY biased against the American racers. Especially the smaller private teams. I thought it was just an honor to be invited. The team I was related to ran all the ALMS races in LMP1 during those years so I guess that's how they qualified.

Couple years ago we had Davy Jones driving the FFR PDG GTM at the 25 Hours of Thunderhill. He is the last American to have won Le Mans overall in 1996.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
A taste of the funding that goes into this race. Each car will get brand new engines for the race. Supplied by Roush - Yates.

:surprise:

I thought you were going to say that each of those boxes was full of cash. :)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I thought you were going to say that each of those boxes was full of cash.
It might as well be. The road car GT motors could fund a healthy kit car project
and I'm sure these race versions are not any cheaper!

That's awesome Mike that you are/were so involved in the race scene.
$2 million seems like a healthy budget for a private team. I wonder what
these auto MFG's are spending?

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
It might as well be. The road car GT motors could fund a healthy kit car project
and I'm sure these race versions are not any cheaper!

That's awesome Mike that you are/were so involved in the race scene.
$2 million seems like a healthy budget for a private team. I wonder what
these auto MFG's are spending?
Just for some perspective, the 25 Hour race that we run every year with the FFR PDG GTM and podiumed overall last year at...there are a couple of teams that spend big bucks on that race. The one team it is widely known that a seat in their Porsche, for just that race, is $60,000. With four drivers for the event, that means that they are bringing in $240,000 just for that race.

Another team that runs that event is rumored to spend in excess of $1,000,000 just on the 25. My information came from a friend of mine that actually worked for that team. He said it was simply insane the amount of $$ that was spent for 1 amateur 25 hour race, and I would have to agree.

The seats in the FFR PDG GTM sell for $10,000 and people usually can't get their check books out fast enough. We are, without a doubt, the best bang for the buck out there, especially considering the fact that the FFR PDG GTM has a shot at the overall win and has not only finished very high up at this race, but out of the last 9 years we have only not finished this race once. Knock on wood, of course.

Point is that most people really don't understand what racing costs, both in money and people's commitment, in order to produce a winning car...or even just an also ran. I would bet that the Ford GT program is easily in the tens of millions, and probably on the north end of that, to run a full Le Mans series.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
$10K for a seat? No problem! :D

I guess you want to be super comfy if you're driving/racing for hours at one time.

For those following along, here is a live update of the qualifying runs. I'm not sure
how the position column works, but it seems like the Ford's are placing top 5 spots
with all four cars at the moment? 1,2, 4,5 ?

Does that mean if the numbers stick for the next qualifying round, that they are
on the grid at positions 33-37 (1,2,4,5 for the Pro category?)?

Live off

Attachments

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Damn, imagine that. If this is any indication of the numbers they'll run on race day, it's going to be huge.

I'm a little torn as the GM guy inside of me would like to see the Corvette's place.
It seems their engines are under powered according to the average MPH.

Ferrari is going to be pissed if the GT's grab top spots after all of these years.

Here's one for the Daytona guys!

P.S. Can someone clarify the 1966 ruling that McLaren won by total distance
even though the GT finished first? Same distance , same lap count? :confused:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Was that where the team had the lead driver slow down for a photogenic finish with teammates? Then the officials gave the win to the trailing driver since he started farther back on the grid just to piss off the Americans in retaliation for the butt-kicking they served up??

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Chad, that does seem ridiculous. The fastest car has become the slower car by far. I mean, it's so restricted it cannot compete.

I really don't understand this LeMan's rule set.

As for the photo finish in '66, it's anyone's guess as to why they would award McLaren the win. If starting further back on the grid gets you a win by loop hole, then why bust your ass to place high in the qualifying round(s) ?

This is starting to seem more political than performance based, or am I just not seeing the overall picture?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
As for the photo finish in '66, it's anyone's guess as to why they would award McLaren the win.
I really think they did it as a big F-U to the Americans in response to them strutting across the finish line...There was a bitter battle between Ford and Ferrari.
Beautiful sight nonetheless...

21 - 40 of 53 Posts