Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Armando oil pan on my 351 Windsor engine and have installed an after market dip stick.

I would like to mark the dip stick with a "full" mark. How many quarts of oil have you used to fill the pan?

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,823 Posts
Usually about 9. You want to you full oil level to be close to the top of the kickout and mark your stick accordingly.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gordon - Thanks so much for the information.

Please tell me what you mean by "kickout". My engine is already in the car.

I'd like to add oil to the "kickout" and mark the dipstick "full" at that level.

Ralph

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,823 Posts
That pan from the rail that bolts to the engine has about 3" of flat side the comes to a bulge where the sides of the pan expands out. That is the kick out. You want you full oil level just below where the bulge starts.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gordon - Thank you again.

I understand that the bottom of the oil pan is to be full of oil nearly up to the transition point of the curved section to the straight sidewall.

I suppose that one should measure the vertical distance from the top of the dipstick tube to that position to determine the initial full level. Or, is there an alternative simpler technique?

Your help is appreciated, Ralph

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Maybe you could fill the pan (with water?) up to the transition point before you install it. Then carefully measure the volume of liquid as you pour it out. After you install the pan, add this amount of oil and call it full. Then insert your dipstick and use that to scribe a full mark. You may want to reduce the oil a bit to account for the pickup tube. Also, don't start the engine before you mark the stick since you'll send about a quart to the filter. I haven't used this method so feel free to shoot holes in this plan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.