Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Are we riveting into the round 4" tube??

258 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  BatMobile 
#1 ·
...and if so, is there a trick to hitting the exact dead center of the tube?

I was wondering whether to put some silicon or similar gel across the top of the tube, then lay the panel in place, so when I pull the panel up, it SHOULD have a nice trace of where the tube actually makes contact...

Any other tricks in the book to find those marks? Trying to mark them out in pen just doesn't give you a very accurate representation of where the EXACT top of the radius is.

Thanks!

Neill

#2 ·
Neill,

Yep you need to rivet into the rouond tube. I actually laid the floor panel in place and using a yard stick made a mark along the length of the panel. I hit them all pretty much dead center. Make sure to use the longer rivets here. I didn't since my longer rivetrs were mismarked on the package.

Ben

#3 ·
Easy...just mark the location of all the tubes on the panels from underneath with a Sharpie or felt tip pen and use a yardstick to find and mark the centerline...then drill away!

Worked fine for me, the trick is to make sure you evenly mark both sides of the big tube(s) on each side.

#4 ·
I used the tried and true feel-aim-shoot method with long rivets. I hit everything pretty much dead on and even if you're off just by a little bit, silicone and long rivets are there to bail you out.

Tim TT

#5 ·
Got myself a nice yardstick, got the panel back in place, just need a slightly smaller barrelled marker to outline the yardstick.

That should work out just about PERFECT.

Thanks!

Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.