Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 4 into 4 setup, and was wondering what the little rubber hangers are actually doing? The 4 bolts holding the sidepipe on are actually doing all the work of supporting the pipes. Are the rubber mounts necessary, they sound like a pain to install! I have poly motor mounts if that makes a difference. Has anyone gone without the rubber mounts, and if so, have you had any problems? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
29,556 Posts
The sidepipe hangars are used to support the pipes. Without them, the pipes will flop around and hit the ground and the body. Without them, the pipes will put too much stress on the headers. They are needed.

2FAST

·
Senior Charter Member
1,725 Posts
I have seen a earlier post that asked the very same question. I think they are necessary because all the weight would be on the exhaust manifold. They are heavier than you think!

Checkout Breeze a vendor here, I believe they have a revised mount that is better than the stock unit.

JQ

·
Super Moderator
29,556 Posts
JQ is correct about the Breeze parts being better. I used them on mine.

2FAST

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I've seen other Kits built without using them. They may hold fine, but who knows maybe in a few thousand miles, you may have to reweld some cracked headers. On the other hand, I've seen some that used a solid hanger and cracked the headers when the engine shook.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,056 Posts
Let's put it this way, when I'm cruising over the rolling hills of PA at a speed which, shall we say "lightens" the wheels, it gets interesting.

It's not so much the launch but the landing which is the problem. There are some unusual stresses on the car when you run out of suspension, catch air then again run out of suspension in compression.

Without the support brackets, the pipes become a natural lever which when combined with the positive G's will try to bend the pipes right off the heads!

By the way, with my original pipes I managed to rip the bracket right out of the side pipe with one of the aformentioned flights!

·
4,494 Posts
Besides carrying the weight of the side pipes to remove load on headers, the rubber side mounts allow the sidepipes to absorb some vibration, and allow some movement of side pipes when engine torques under load. If you used a solid mount instead of the rubber ones, you would eventually develop cracks in the header or somewhere else along the exhaust system.

·
Orbiting FFCobra.com
778 Posts
I second the Breeze rubber insulator. It's much better than the crap I tried to save off my donor!

Mark

·
Senior Charter Member
699 Posts
Use the Breeze part, my stock donor part failed and caused body damage. I use the Breeze part now.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It just looks that the bolts are doing all the work on the header. I can see if you are using a j-pipe setup, then you need the hanger to keep it from moving, but the 4 into 4 setup is making the sidepipe sit in only one position, it literally can't move, so I can't see where a little rubber hanger is going to do anything to support the pipe when all the support is at the 4 bolt connection. I will put the breeze setup on, but I still think that its not gonna do much. Also, on the breeze unit, is that a big hose clamp that wraps around the sidepipe? thats what it looks like in the picture, and if it is, how does it look? Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
crazy - at rest, you're right....the hangers aren't doing much on a 4x4 exhaust. However, when you start going over bumps and dips, that 4' sidepipe hanging out there puts a large amount of torque on the flange joint. You need the hangers to support the sidepipes and take some of that load off the headers. Otherwise, it's only a matter of time before the welds and pipes start to fatigue and crack.

·
Premium Member
12,326 Posts
You have to remember that the engine will move a bit under load. The torque when you just blip the throttle will twist the engine enough to cause the pipes to move so a solid mount wouldn't be a good idea.

[ May 14, 2004, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: Dagster ]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.