Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to build a FF challenge car in a few years for mostly for racing but would like to drive it to autox and cruise nights here and there. Can they be build to race and run on the street?

Anyone race these at blackhawk or autobahn?

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
yes
I raced my challenge car and also ran it on the street with all the stickers on it didn't even bother changing tires.
my car may not have always been challenge series legal

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,031 Posts
My car is street legal and just passed NH state inspection. Just make sure you install all the bits required by your state (lights, horn, hazards, wipers, e-brake)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Mine was street legal in Texas and now in Washington, never had an issue to license it.

·
Junior Charter Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So by making it street legal would I still be legal for the challenge series?

·
Senior Charter Member
2,017 Posts
yes.
several have done it. But mine has Bad street manners. Setup (caster/camber) is for flat surface (racetrack) and most streets have a crown.

·
Registered
353 Posts
John George always runs the track with his headlights on, alternator load be d-nmed.

I know of another challenge car approaching 30,000 street miles.

·
Junior Charter Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's great to hear, it will be great to build one up for track knowing I could drive it here and there on the street if I wanted.

My original plan was to just build a roadster but I've been racing more and I'm really getting into it. I bought the manual and a donor car a few years ago but just never got to it. I've done some lemons racing and plan to build something for chump car. Eventually moving to spec miata then hopefully onto vintage and challenge series with a FF challenge car.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
the nice thing about the NASA group is they are keeping the FFRC cars in mind as they restructure the classes. So in the near future we will have

FFR Spec series
ST3/2 depending on your setup
Vintage Outlaw V2.

So we can fit in any of those depending on who shows up and how many cars are in your region.

·
#60 Spec Racer
122 Posts
My race challenge car is street legal as a 1965 with antique plates in Tennessee with horns, lights and turn signals. Though I have run the streets with my race tires...its not probably a good idea.

Mike

·
#60 Spec Racer
122 Posts
the nice thing about the NASA group is they are keeping the FFRC cars in mind as they restructure the classes. So in the near future we will have

FFR Spec series
ST3/2 depending on your setup
Vintage Outlaw V2.

So we can fit in any of those depending on who shows up and how many cars are in your region.
Marty, with the Vintage rules we would be running V1 because of our tubular frame, correct?

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts
Another thing to note is that making a street roadster race legal is a tall order. By race legal I mean issued a log book and good for wheel to wheel. I would think making a challenge car street legal would be much easier. Even with all my cage work, I'll be good for time trial at best.

·
ACTIVE
42 Posts
If you are under say 5 6' you are not going to like climbing over the door as a street car. Cage also keeps you from resting your arm on the door.

I am building a second suspension that I can swap in and out pretty quick, one for track one for the street. Second set of wheels/tires so I don;t have to run RA-1's on the street. Might need to do something in the long run to soften up the clutch just a hair.

Its hard to make a spec car look pretty though, but the one time I have taken mine to a show it got more attention then any of the "pretty" builds as it looks pretty purposeful. Lets just say your not going to want to put more then a very basic garage paint on the car. I am a few steps away from just plasti-diping the whole thing and doing cheap static gumballs.

On the street I like having the cage and the full height seats. Makes me feel more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I drove mine on the street occasionally until the insurance company found out it "was used in competition events" and cancelled the insurance. They found youtube videos and photos on the web. BIG BROTHER is watching! I assured them that if it was ever involved in an incident at the track, they would never know about it. They said they feared someone would find out it was insured and they would have to fight in court. They didn't want to have to pay to defend themselves. Nogoodlowlifescumsuckendegenerates!

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can make a C-car street legal depending on your state's requirements. Here in AZ I'd need to add a horn, full windshield, turn signals, and an E-brake. Well, don't want to add that for weight purposes, so off the road she stays.

·
Current Cobra builder
136 Posts
Street Legal Challenge Car

I have a street legal Challenge car, here in Oklahoma. Registration was easy, and no more safety inspections, because a previous governor
thought our vehicles are as safe as our roads!? Anyway, I've enjoyed driving my Challenge car on several road trips, including one to the Hudson Valley area of New York, and stops in Pennsylvania, and Ohio to see relatives, and back. Great trip, with no mechanical problems, but had to time the weather, with no top, just Rainex. Rainex is GOOD! Functioning doors, and a good top would make it Ideal, But I'm not complaining, I Love driving it. 5,000 miles, and hopefully many more.

·
Current Cobra builder
136 Posts
Additional

Forgot to mention, a full size windshield with release pins, toggle switch actuated turn signals, and dash mounted horn. No windshield wipers, registered as 1965, and data plate riveted on driver foot box under the hood. They were reasonable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts