Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an mk4 and ended up installing flowmaster to make the long drives tolerable. Now i am considering a gen3 65 but am concerned that tbey are even louder. What have others done to " quiet" theirs down. I hope this issue wont be a deal breaker.
Thx

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...i will research them

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Gas-N Performance pipes on mine. Went that way before Factory Five had their new design pipes available. But if similar to the Roadster, the Gas-N pipes are a bit mellower and certainly beautiful. Not a ton of miles in my Coupe yet. But first impressions are that sound is a bit of a mixed result. Missing wind and traffic noise. Which is significant. But the engine and exhaust note are definitely there. We will be wearing our ear plugs, just like the Roadster, and it's very tolerable. Dave Smith said several times in his daily video the other day that the Coupe is a race car at its core and people shouldn't expect it to be like a daily driver. Repeated a couple times it needs to be well insulated. Which I did.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His video...which i love...was one of my reasons for concern. As with the mk4 i will wear earplug, avoid highways and enjoy the country roads.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I have the Boig quiet pipes on mine, a different look as they are a single pipe. With them you will still want to use ear plugs but reasonable. Mine is an early kit and the supplied pipes were crazy loud.
David W

·
Senior Charter Member
879 Posts
As Russ Thompson said to me “this thing is a drum”. Even with sound insulation, carpet, Headliner, and windows closed it’s way louder than my roadster, that’s with the ffr pipes gen II. I’m putting on corvette side pipes that have different muffler inserts available .

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yep, it’s pretty loud. Fine for short distances, but tough for a few hours. My solution: Bose QC30 noise-cancelling ear buds. The amount of noise cancelling can be adjusted with a toggle on the wire, depending on your mood. At the lowest level you hear a lot of engine, and at its highest level, you’d be surprised how much engine it cancels out, especially with music playing.

A couple of nice additional features: 1) You can pair two Bose headsets together, connected to one phone. This way, I take care of the driving, and my wife takes care of the music playlist. 2) They’re pretty small and indiscrete, so the cops don’t see them (the cops don’t like over-the-ear headphones).

·
347 Posts
I have four coats of Lizardskin sound and heat deadener throughout and it's still pretty loud, but not so loud that you can't hear your passenger talk. On the other hand, I kind of like loud... It goes well with real fast...

·
Junior Charter Member
220 Posts
Loud. Very loud.
even with 32 dB ear plugs it’s loud. I use over the ear noise canceling head phones bose a20 often with ear plugs. It’s rather enjoyable then. Some type of hearing protection is a must. I don’t know how someone can drive without them.
insulate the insulate some more. Carpet in the wheel wells. Got rid of the irs solid mounts, then more insulation.
mike

·
347 Posts
I used to have a ‘63 Triumph Bonneville 650 with open bells. Now that was loud... Real loud...

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
Too loud for me is my tinnitus never stops ringing. I always wear ear plugs, but have had jobs with such loud and low frequency, that the sound actually travels through your body to wreck hearing. Now, anything that is loud i.e. using a hammer, increases ear ringing. The drum analogy seems about right for the coupe, but what a car!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts