Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Approximately how many miles are you all getting on a tank of gas? Just asking for an estimate with a stock 302 set-up on the highway. Trying to get an estimate since I am not sure about how correct the car's fuel gauge reads and don't want to run out coming home with it. Thanks!
Ray

·
Registered
133 Posts
Minitruk,
Mileage will totally depend on your driving style. However, be aware that your fuel gauge may not be accurate. I have learned from experience that when my gauge reads 1/4 tank my car is actually empty!! I believe it has to do with the sending unit in the tank, and how it is calibrated.

Greg.

[ June 23, 2004, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: GB ]

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Ray - there's no reason a stock 302 on the highway shouldn't get at least 20 mpg, so w/ a 16 gallon tank, that's 320 miles. To be safe, I'd be looking for a station at about the 250 mile mark.

·
3,645 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
892 Posts
I have gotten everything from 13 to 20 MPG with the stock set up on the highway. My gauge is off as well, but the other way. When it says empty, the tank will only take 8 gallons.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Walter,
Yes the needle does stay pegged, or above full for awhile after a complete fill up. I am currently running stewart warner gauges. Is it possible to adjust the gauge?
Greg

·
Senior Charter Member
1,056 Posts
My high mileage was 27 mpg.

I recently did a one-day 952 mile trip from Baltimore to FFR and back to Baltimore. I was going about 80 mph the entire day. My mileage was about 20 mpg.

I normally get about 25 mpg with conservative driving.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Don't know, have a veeeerrry hard time not putting my foot in it..... ;)

·
Registered
752 Posts
The Ford tank is actually 15.7 gallons; 16 gallons is from the marketing guys.
My heavy (4200lbs) GT convertible gets 16-18 mpg around town, and never less than 24 mpg freeway.
My lightweight highly modified Hatchback gets around 12mpg stoplight to stoplight.
Your results will vary greatly according to how heavy your foot is.

·
Registered
752 Posts
OOPs-
Forgot the last part...I can fill up my stock conv.GT, drive to and from work, and get 220-235 miles from that tank. Weekend cruising, long trips, etc. will throw that number out the window.

·
Charter Member
178 Posts
I get 10-13 mpg. with my 408w. Downhill with the wind will get me to 13. This thing would probably get 20 if it was on the trailer....lol

Doc

·
Junior Charter Member
815 Posts
13.5 mpg in town mostly, some highway last time I checked. Unknown slightly lopey bumpstick with 65mm TB, 19lb injectors, stock A9L EEC-IV, full emissions, 3.73 gears, and 275x40x17 tires. 5th gear on the T5 shows 60mph at 2000rpm. Not sure how accurate the speed is, but it's close.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Pure stock (186K donor) w/ 3.08 rear - first 300 miles mix of country roads, a little highway and some in town - 16 MPG. This is about 200 miles on 12 Gal.

My fuel level sender is toast - my gauge is full until I have 1/4 to 1/8th tank left.

Hope this helps

·
6,332 Posts
So do any of these gas gauges/fuel senders work right? I haven't filled mine up yet, but I did put 5 gallons in it to fire it up, and I'm a solid E. I did check the sender with an ohmmeter before I put it in and it was reading right over the full range. I guess I better not let my AAA membership lapse.
Frank

·
590 Posts
GB, on the SW, I don't know of any adjustment. You just need to be sure it is for the same ohm range as your sending unit.

On the Mustang gauge, you can pull the needle off and put it almost anywhere you want it to be.

If using the stock gauges, you need to be sure that your anti-slosh module is working or bypass it. A bad module will cause low readings.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts