Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an appointment next Wednesday with a speed shop in the Chicago area to have my motor dyno'd & tuned.

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject but I want to have some general knowlege before I show for the tune up.

1. I understand they will adjust accelorator pump and jets on the carburator.

2. Timing will be adjusted as well.

3. I have heard that "valve lash" can be looked at as well. What exactly is "valve lash"? I assume it is the adjustable setting on the rocker studs that maintains the pressure or setting on the rocker arm. How important is this to have set? I asked the company doing the dyno today and they acted as if though they do not normally adjust this but would do so if I was willing to pay for the time involved.

The purpose of the dyno is not to see how many horse I am pushing but rather to finalize the tuning of the car. It is a 351W with a 670 Bigs carb; 4 into 4's, Edelbrock Performer RPM, cast iron heads and 9:1 compression. I get about 12 miles to the gallon and think it is burning ritch. Rear end is a 2:73 with a Richmond 5 speed with a 1:1 5th gear.

·
Charter Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cam is a flat tappet hydraulic lifter cam. Non-roller. Rocker arms are roller tipped though.

·
Charter Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rear drive dyno as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts