Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have been working on an Ape brand top and am about ready to mount this thing. Does anybody have information on hardware and tips to make the install go smoothly? Thanks, Ken

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,044 Posts
Mine is an old one and I think hardware may have changed. This is definitely different because it's from an old Vette.
Sorry it's out of focus.
dscn0457 by craig stuard, on Flickr
Throw away and get a longer 1/4 coarse thread bolt. I found one like and old air filter bolt w/ a built-in fender washer and wing nut.
here is the windshield attachment. Note that the w/s is not terribly important. I inadvertently have driven for many miles w/ them very loose.
th_wsmnt2-1 by craig stuard, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
To secure the top to the body (at the rear) I use these....One for each side ,installed just to the rear of the doors,as in 2nd. pix.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
And(sticky on one side) 1/2"x1.50" foam to protect the paint (where the top & body meet). Also makes for a good tight fit.
Foam from home depot.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the information. That takes a lot of stress off. The pictures were perfect. Thanks again, Ken

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Can you please tell me what those clamps are called and where you bought them? Thanks Leefuss
Just took these pix.,If you want to have them made up.The longer clamp is for the drivers side (due to warp of MY top). You might not need a longer one.Make the smaller one and see if it works on both sided for YOUR top.

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,734 Posts
Just my opinion, but Ecklers is the way to go, once you get over your fear of drilling a fairly large hole in a fairly visible place! Don’t mind the other unfinished holes, getting ready to finish my side windows.

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,734 Posts
Cool idea with the wing nut. I’m using a button head, but wing nut would be nice, no tools needed.

Not really liking the APE windshield mount, but as you noted, the Ecklers mount is so strong, it’s probably fine. I’ve thought about mounting the soft top header bow to the top, but haven’t gotten around to it. Ralph B did something similar.

Mine is an old one and I think hardware may have changed. This is definitely different because it's from an old Vette.
Sorry it's out of focus.
by craig stuard, on Flickr
Throw away and get a longer 1/4 coarse thread bolt. I found one like and old air filter bolt w/ a built-in fender washer and wing nut.
here is the windshield attachment. Note that the w/s is not terribly important. I inadvertently have driven for many miles w/ them very loose.
th_wsmnt2-1 by craig stuard, on Flickr

·
Registered
19 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts