Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound like heresy to some of you, but I was wondering if anyone has used an automatic in their Cobra? I plan on using my car as a pretty frequent daily driver. I have been driving my 2001 GT 5spd in traffic for 3 years now and I am getting a little tired of the stick. I was thinking maybe of an AOD with a manual valve body. Has anyone done this? What kind of problems will I have? Got pictures?
Thanks in advance!

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,500 Posts
Hi

I am doing an AOD also. You will get allot of flack from the forum on aod's but many have done them. I saw a nice one at the ffr open house last week he had a Hurst ratchet shifter, he said it was great he can drive it like a normal auto or go thru the gears one at a time. I also am tired of standards, just put it in gear and go!!
They made 30 real cobras as autos, not many people realize. Build it how you want to not how other people tell you to.

good luck

pat

·
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pat,
Have you started yet? Is the Mustang AOD computer controlled?
Jim

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
Only the very very new AOD's are computer controlled. They call them an AOD-E. I'm pretty sure this just controls the lock-up in the torque converter and cam be bypassed with a simple fix. The regular AOD's are straight bolts ins with no worrys.--Well, you might want to beef them up. :D

·
Senior Charter Member
552 Posts
I built mine with an AOD (for Street use). I'm very happy with it. One hand is always free to return the waves from the girls.

·
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good for you! What rear end ratio did you go with?
Jim

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
My car is a 5 speed and I wouldn't trade it for the world. That said...my mechanic/builder has a Cobra with a 514ci monster motor in it. He's got AOD in his car. Lemme tell ya, I wouldn't give him any flack about anything. That thing goes like a scalded cat!! So he can just grab the wheel and steer. :D

Besides, it's YOUR car. If you want AOD, do it. Who cares what anyone else says.

As for the rear gear, if you've got a 4 speed, I'd recommend something like 3.27-3.55. Should help acceleration since your gear ratios are probably farther apart.

Steve

·
Registered
315 Posts
I used the Lentech manual valve body in mine and during gokart rides it's wild when you stomp on the pedal and it down shifts. The exhaust sound go's from loud to screaming. You will have a button to control shifting into OD and they recommend not doing that until you hit atleast 55. As far as shifters go, any shifter that fits a C6 will work. I have a Performance Products billit shifter. You can shift or put it in drive. Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts