Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am installing a Lokar shifter on a AOD transmission and it requires replacing the shift arm on the transmission. I removed the oil pan and had to remove the roll pin that keeps the shift arm secured in place. They recommend using a pair of wire cutters and prying the pin out. The problem is I do not have enough of the pin exposed to get a good purchase. I tried drilling out the pin and snapped off the drill bits. Has anyone had this problem? I'm thinking of buying some tungsten bits and trying again. The pin is hardened steel and a real bugger to drill. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg

·
Junior Charter Member
622 Posts
Try to put a small sheet metal screw or easy out in it just tight enough to hold and pull on that. If you have to drill it you will need a 2 flute solid carbide bit.
Wayne

·
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
2,018 Posts
So I am installing a Lokar shifter on a AOD transmission and it requires replacing the shift arm on the transmission. I removed the oil pan and had to remove the roll pin that keeps the shift arm secured in place. They recommend using a pair of wire cutters and prying the pin out. The problem is I do not have enough of the pin exposed to get a good purchase. I tried drilling out the pin and snapped off the drill bits. Has anyone had this problem? I'm thinking of buying some tungsten bits and trying again. The pin is hardened steel and a real bugger to drill. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg
I know when I swapped mine out I thought "boy that would suck if it didn't come out". Sorry to hear it happened to you, wish I had some words of wisdom, but I don't. Keep at it, you'll get it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Greg,
That same thing happened to me we were usiging a TCI AOD Streetfighter Trans and someone at TCI wore down the pin so you cant pull it out. We simply rotated the factory trans arm 180 degrees or put it straight up like the Lokar directions said. We then drilled several small holes in the end of the trans arm and bolted the Lokar bracket to the end of the arm and hooked up all the shift linkage and it drives and shifts like new. Looks a littly funkey but works great. Hope this helps.
Art

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys. We figured out a solution. We left the stock linkage and bolted the new Lokar linkage to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts