Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need new seats, I saw these Sparcos Grid Q seats somewhere in a challenge car but don’t remember where. They look like they will fit. Any input? Thanks,.

·
Charter Member
1,098 Posts
When I was looking for new seats I was lucky enough to be able to go to the Pegasus store and look at multiple ones in person. I found the most difficult part to analyze was the shoulder wings. Those seats look really good just get the right hip width and make sure they don't interfere with the body behind the door.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I bought my MKII FFR back in 2004. My seat choice back then was the FFR Street Performer, and it looks an awful lot like this Sparco Q seat, but the SP shoulder width dimension looks narrower than what's shown here. I haven't checked dimensions on the Q seat chart (above, but very small), but my seat shoulder width is 19 1/2", and I'm pretty sure nothing wider will fit. I'm afraid those shoulder wings would run afoul of the bodywork. BTW, as of two years ago, most of the foam in my SPs had pulverized so I had them professionally reupholstered. That added bulk to the seats, but they still fit fine. If you like this high-back seat arrangement, someone here may have a pair of SPs available for you.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
This looks a bit like my OMP seat (OMP Style Racing Seat | Free Shipping! you can compare the dimensions at the link, but shop around for the best price. The OMP fits, but only if you've got short legs. The rear of the seat is wide enough that you can't push the seat very far back in the cockpit. No way a 6' tall guy is gonna make the OMP work.

John

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,749 Posts
You could look at the Kirkeys FFR currently supplies and go to the Kirkey website to get the dimensions. Then compare w/ the Q. I would also add that the Kirkeys are surprisingly comfortable. And since the covers attach w/ snaps it is easy to ad some foam somewhere if you want.

·
8,269 Posts
Another benefit to the Kirkeys is that they are aluminum so you can bend the shoulder 'wings' to fit the body better. I had to bend mine a little. The Kirkeys leave a lot to be desired for comfort on longer trips as the foam is very thin. Adding a layer of denser foam helps quite a bit.

Reactions: MauiKarl

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have Corbeau FX1 pro seats in mine and they fit and clear the door but not by a lot. Thats with the seat mounted right on the floor but tilted up at the front, and reasonably far forward. If the seat didnt tilt up or if you mounted it up another inch off the floor there would be a lot more clearance between the shoulder wings and the door. If you pushed it back and followed the trans tunnel it would provide more space it looks like so taller may not be a big deal unless you have pretty long legs. There is a few inches of space between the back of my seat and the back wall.

·
Senior Charter Member
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I pulled the trigger and ordered a pair from Murray Motorsport in Ireland so we’ll have to wait a wile before they arrive, they’re a fiberglass shell with a cover so I think I can modify as needed , I’ve been playing with resin and fiberglass since the early 70s.

·
Senior Charter Member
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update, I Got them from Murray’s Motorsport in Ireland, shipping to Hawaii was $120 each and they came in 10 days! got them to fit with a little ( maybe a lot ) dremel work on the seat shell, the cover is removable and it’s a fiberglass shell. They’re way better fitting for me than my previous Sparco f200 seats!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Het Karl, would you care to share what you had to modify and how you mounted them? Pictures would be great.

Thanks,
Tony

·
Senior Charter Member
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Het Karl, would you care to share what you had to modify and how you mounted them? Pictures would be great.

Thanks,
Tony
Sure Tony! Since the cover is removable i could access the fiberglass shell, I took some pictures but not all of what I did. first placed the seats on Sparco mounts
Guitar accessory Font String instrument accessory Screenshot Musical instrument accessory

Then placed in the car, interference was behind the doors, so i marked with tape
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
and removed the cover
Textile Sleeve Wood Electric blue Art
then cut with my Dremel cutting disc
Textile Electric blue Tints and shades Auto part Bag
placed back in car and trimmed till I got it positioned how I wanted it
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle door Fender
I also trimmed a bit at the front
trans tunnel side but have no pictures but you get the idea. put the cover back over my modifications and you cant tell. Hope that Helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Nice job Karl. Looks to be a pretty simple modification. Thanks, I appreciate you sharing. Looking to change to high back seats and not sure what direction to go. Those look like a really nice seat.

Thanks again.

·
Senior Charter Member
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL....! I will be going on my third set of seats.
I think they will be perfect for you.
Let me know when you have them installed. I'll come over and try them out.
Ha, these are the 4th for this car!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts