Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FFR Builder
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just unpacked the proportioning valve that I bought from Ford. I looks like it is set up to use bubble flairs. The package includes an adapter that converts the bubble flare to a double flare. The problem is that the adapter relies solely on threads with a seal compound to keep the brake fluid from leaking. It seems to me that the adapter should be using a mechanical seal and not just some compound on the threads. What should I do to insure that this will not leak? Thanks, Dave

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
If it's this valve, the ports are NPT, not bubble flares. That's why there's sealant on the adapters.

·
FFR Builder
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joe,
That's the one I have. I am surprised that the sealant will handle the high pressures that a brake system will see. I guess if thats how this part is designed I will run with it. Thanks for the information! Dave

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
They are tapered pipe threads, so they'll take significant pressure if properly sealed, and Ford has taken care of that for you. The sealant is actually a type of Locktite, so install and don't worry.

·
Junior Charter Member
467 Posts
I used the newer FMS valve but I picked up some 90 degree adapters that were pipe thread to inverted flare and placed the valve under the dash. I have the brakes bled and all is good with no leaks.

Paul

·
FFR Builder
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. The valve is installed. Paul, I put it in the same location as yours, except I mounted it under the crossmember.
Thanks again,
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts