Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cobra Builder/Driver
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot about these units over on Corral.net. How hard are they to use/program? I'd like to do some basic modifications like smog delete and rev limit, and it might be nice to play around with the fuel/spark tables.

What kind of improvements are you getting from your tuner? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I too am in the market for one of these. I have joined a Yahoo forum group and am lurking and reading right now. What got me interested was a friend who has a Hunter Cobra and an Corvette set up. He has the laptop and ACCEL system for the chevy's. He can change anything on the computer like the Tweecar. Plus he spanked my butt at the dragstrip and I can't have that. I am going for a custom chip or one of these.

Also good article in MMFF this month. They got about 20 HP if I remember right.

Sean

·
6,546 Posts
Accel DFI and the Tweecer are two TOTALLY different things.

The Tweecer itself will gain you no power, it's just a tuning aid. You still have to program the unit to your car to make any gains.

FYI.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ozona,

I understand the Accel and Tweecar and EECTuner are different, but totally different? Please explain.

I watched and helped my friend tune his motor with the Accel system. He changed idle, timing, MAP, rev limit, A/F Mixture curves, Blah, Blah, Blah. Could start the car and had a real time analyzer. This got me interested in exploring what was available for the Ford EEC, as I said in my post. From what I have seen from the Tweecar and EECTuner, these systems are somewhat different from each other, but not TOTALLY different from themselves or the Accel system in that they all allow you to set different settings for engine control through the factory computer and bypass or over ride its settings (basically what a custom chip will do except you can customize it and change it later if you like). Basically the same settings we changed on his Accel system I have seen on the Tweecar and EEC Tuner information I have gathered. Also, I believe you can get more horsepower and torque from any of these if tuned properly. If you have a stock motor then the gains should not be that great if any. If you have a heavily modifed EEC controlled motor then you CAN achieve horsepower gains. You can also get horsepower losses and or fry your motor if you do not tune it right.

TX66,

Try EECtuner group on Yahoo and iwantperformance.com for other views.

Sean

·
6,546 Posts
Accel DFI is a stand alone / self sufficient EFI setup. The tweecer is a "Chip" for the car that can be edited. Accel DFI is WAY more sophisticated than the Tweecer. The tweecer just allows you to "Tweak" the memory tables in the stock ECU.

You can download demo versions of both to look at free. Do that, if for no other reason than it's cool to check out the software.

The EECTuner is the same thing as the Tweecer. There is a RT version of the tweecer which allows you to MONITOR and data log in real time. You still can't change anything on the fly, you have to shut 'er down, make the changes and then upload them.

That said, the Tweecer is about $500 and DFI is a couple of grand.

I've looked into:

DFI
F.A.S.T.
Tweecer
EEC Tuner
Speedbrain
PMS
AFM Extreme EFI (Vaporware/doesn't exist yet)

Be sure and post whatever you find here. I'm interested in what you learn.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ozona,

Of the the Tweecer and the EEC Tuner which do you like better and why? Looks like the Tweecer is really developing a lot of new features.

I think either would be better than spending over $200 on a custom chip and then modifying again and having to spend another $200+ for a custom burn. What do you think?

Thanks,

Sean

·
6,546 Posts
The Tweecer RT would be the one to get on the Tweecer / Tweecer RT / EEC Tuner selection.

You should talk to your local dyno shop and find out if what they are familiar with and will work with. The Tweecer won't do you any good if the dyno guys won't or can't use it.

On the + side, "Keep Right" or whatever the Tweecer's company is will read a chip and set you up with a .bin image of your custom chip that you can use as a baseline.

I wish there was (1) product that I felt REALLY comfortable with, they all have their detractors ($$) or positives.

The F.A.S.T. sequential wideband or the Electromotive TEC look like the best ones IMHO. They are both SUPER %#[email protected]#$ :eek: expensive.

A custom burned chip w/ a dyno tune is probably the best route for someone that isn't continually changing up their combination. You would have to buy the Dyno time to dial in your setup if you change it a lot anyways. The chip isn't that much more.

Tell me what you hear out there, I'm interested in your opinion as you learn as well.

Regards,

Bill

·
Cobra Builder/Driver
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think either would be better than spending over $200 on a custom chip and then modifying again and having to spend another $200+ for a custom burn. What do you think?
My thoughts exactly. The TwEECer seems to be the pick of the litter now, and is upgradeable later to the TwEECerRT that gives Real Time data logging. I picked up the MM&FF magazine that has a review of the TwEECer. It looks relatively simple and has some base tables already built. I don't think that my mild mods are going to give it much to work with though. But maybe after a new cam, some AFR 165's........hhmmm

·
Charter Member
36 Posts
Read this discussion, and can't disagree with any of it.

I have an EEC tuner. One of its minuses is that it does not data log that well but can datalog(.1 sec in WOT). I also have a Sneec datalogger. Combined, I can make changes in the EEC tuner and datalog what the effects are. I am in the process of building a Wide Band O2(Aus version) to datalog the top end and then, fine tune the Mass Air Meter curve and fuel tables. The goal is to find a good tune and have a custom chip made from the EEC tuner file, so I can remove the EEC tuner.

The TwEECer is what I would buy now, if I were starting over. All the information learned on the EEC Tuner is transferable to the TwEECer as near as I can tell. So, the Forum database and information is there to aid you during tuning.

The TwEECer and EEC tuner both act to change the control tables and variables used by the EEC-IV engine computer. By datalogging and using a methodical approach, an otherwise ill running car can be tamed into a very streetable running machine.

What they(EEC Tuner and TwEECer) both do better than any generic chip is:
1. tell the computer exactly the engine displacement and injector size.
2. tell the computer exactly how much air is flowing through the mass air meter(mapping the slope of the meter). This is especially important since our intake to the meter is problably much different than any stock configuration.
3. how much fuel to throw at the engine under boost. Add or subtracting fuel at Wide Open Throttle.
4. how much timing to take out at different rpms....i.e. boost.

These are the important that I have found.
As you can guess, this is not for the faint of heart because of the learning curve.

With the EEC, I have a supercharged car, with a somewhat heathly cam and big injectors that is very streetable. It idles very well and hot starts are not a problem(another one of those tables that need modifing).

Of course, one of the high end Engine Management Systems are probably much easier to use, but, it depends on your budget.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts