Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with Southern Automotive for a complete engine?

Please let me know if anyone has another idea for a complete 351W setup for around 9k.

--Bill

·
Junior Charter Member
791 Posts
http://www.ffcars.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=40;t=009869
Here's a link to the '04 archives where they are mentioned, you may find more by doing a search with the search button at the top of the page just below "New Topic" and "Post Reply". Then you can PM or email the person who said they purchased from them.
Also try the vendor's button at the top, Forte's, Max at Five Star Ford and others will be competitive for that price I'm sure. HTH Jon

·
Senior Charter Member
3,588 Posts
Try asking over on ClubCobra.com. There are quite a few guys in the Deep South Cobra Club that have Southern Automotive engines. All the guys I've talked to that have their engines have been quite happy with them.

Pete

·
5,206 Posts
I have never heard anything bad about SA. A number of my group have engines from them. You might also, consider George Gessford of Gessford machine in Nebraska. Just as good and a little closer to you.

Another builder for a motor is Gordon Levy.

Mike

·
Registered
482 Posts
Bill, look up Jim Pomroy in the Deep South Cobra Club over on Club Cobra. He just got a 408 from them for his new Backdraft. He was happy with it the last time I spoke to him. And he is pretty particular about things.

Jim

·
Senior Charter Member
1,724 Posts
I delt with them last year but ended up going to The Engine Factory, another vendor here. Nice people, the have a good deal on the 406 which looks like a 427s/o.

JQ

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi...I have one of their sideoilers that came with CSX 4064 that Shelby built as a turn-key racing car for a guy in CA. The engine has the full treatment including stroking, balancing, port matching, Manley H-beam rods, etc. Workmanship seems to be excellent and it runs great!...Budge

·
Registered
493 Posts
Consider Speed-O-Motive in West Covina. Speedomotive.com. I had my FE rebuilt there and my brother had a 460 rebuilt there. Good service and price. About 6.5K for the FE (I had the block already).

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,735 Posts
I have nothing against Southern Automotive.

Gordon Levy is the man. A great reputation built on quality and performance.

He is right next door, and will stand behind his product.

He can help you design your engine to fit your needs whatever they may be.

Call him you won't regret it.

Rick

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've had two Southern Automotive engines. My car came with a stock stroke 351, which I upgraded to a 427 Windsor stroker. In addition to being great folks to deal with, they stand behind their work, no questions asked. A significant number of Cobra folks here in the Atlanta area are sporting Bill's motors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts