Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday, October 6th.

Yep, that time again for 318 curves in 11 miles and some of the most beautiful scenic byways you could ask for.

A group of us from around the Mooresville / Charlotte, etc area will be meeting at the I-77 Exit 42 Wilco gas station and leave there about 5:45AM bound for Asheville.

We’ll meet some more folks at I-40 Exit 44 Cracker Barrel on the west side of Asheville ~8AM. There are a couple of hotels at that exit 44 for anyone wanting to drive in the night before.

We’ll depart Cracker Barrel about 9-9:15 for Fontana Dam (we’ll still do the gas & restroom break after about an hour into it for the Cracker Barrel coffee contingent & gasaholics). We’ll make Fontana by ~11AM & meet up with any others there.

We’ll then leave Fontana about 11:15-11:30AM and make the northbound run on the Dragon. We’ll regroup at the end to cool down, swap lies and take in the scenery.

Just like the past few years, from there I assume the group will probably break off, with some continuing on further north for lunch, some looping around TN to run the Cherohala eastward in its entirety, some running the Dragon southbound to either Deal’s Gap or Robbinsville for lunch & then making a westward run on at least a portion of the Cherohala, etc... before heading back home or staying overnight in the area.

There appears to be some interest in grouping up at a hotel Saturday night to tour a little more of the Smokies Sunday morning. The group rates I’ve found so far around the Robbinsville area require minimum of 10 rooms and only run about 10% cheaper than normal rates, but if anyone has suggestions just let me know & I’ll be glad to check into any options.

It’s an incredibly fun day of fellowship & fun. Hope to see you October 6th!

· Registered
30 Posts
Tail of the Dragon

I would like to do this drive again. Used to vacation at Fontana Village, so I've driven the road, but not in a Cobra! If I go, I would probably have to drive over to Asheville the night before, or perhaps all the way to Fontana Dam. I think you mentioned your meet-up place near Asheville, but you weren't as specific with the meet-up location at Fontana. Are you actually planning to meet at the dam site? As I recall, there is a parking area there, where people can park while visiting the dam. Is this the site? Thanks, and I look forward to seeing you on the 6th.

Jack Wheeler
[email protected]

· Registered
589 Posts
Jack,

In the past the meet at the dam was in the parking lot near the top of the dam so I assume that is still the case.

In checking the room rates at exit 44, in W. Asheville, the Sleep Inn & Comfort Inn are around $135 +tax, as the FALL rates must have kicked in.

The rates at the MicroTel in Robbinsville are $64 +tax, more in our budget so we are talking about maybe getting over to Robbinsville on Fri and join the meet at the dam on Sat.

Still working on the logistics.

Bob Jones
Raleigh

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob - sent you a PM. So glad to hear you guys will be able to make it.

Yes, definitely at the same place as last time - at the upper parking area with the observation deck. Hopefully Smokey the bear cub is still alive, around, and will pose for some more pictures for us again.

Jack - from what area will you be coming? I've extended the invitation to Bob & the Raleigh crowd... if you're coming in from the eastern side of the state, you're more than welcome to crash at my place the evening before & just drive in with us Saturday morning.

Larry

· 1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
28,717 Posts
Pencil me in.

Greg

· Registered
412 Posts
just rick and I will meet you at cracker barrel around 9:00

· Banned
2,256 Posts
Darn,

I would definitely be there, but I'm already signed-up for the Z-Nationals in Georgia that weekend... :(

That's a incredible weekend... FFRs on the Dragon, Z-Nationals in Georgia, Sunbeam Tigers in Pigeon Forge... and probably several other get-togethers I don't know about...

Sherrell

28,717 Posts
Darn,

I would definitely be there, but I'm already signed-up for the Z-Nationals in Georgia that weekend... :(
Why would you want to go to that? :evil:

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For those interested in overnighting it October 6th, 3 more of us reserved rooms at the Microtel in Robbinsville yesterday and the hotel advised there are only a few rooms left now. The number there is 1-828-479-6772.

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The weather is looking absolutely picture-perfect for this Saturday's run.

Bobby, rest assured we'll savor a couple of extra burgers on your & Becky's behalf. I hate you won't be able to make it this weekend.

Larry

28,717 Posts
Saturday, October 6th.

We’ll then leave Fontana about 11:15-11:30AM and make the northbound run on the Dragon. We’ll regroup at the end to cool down, swap lies and take in the scenery.
To be clear, you will group at Fontana dam around 11:00 and head which way from there? Toward Robbisnsville NC or Deals Gap/Maryville TN.

Greg

· Premium Member
2,935 Posts
So many things going on this Saturday but it looks like this might be at the top of my list. Anyone planning on driving down from Knoxville and want to run together?

This is the latest forecast...
Sun and clouds mixed with a slight chance of thunderstorms during the afternoon. High 73F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

28,717 Posts
I'm watching weather and will decide at the last minute as usual.

Isolated thunderstorms in the morning with a few showers possible during the afternoon. High 66F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I'm really not liking how that weatherman changed his odds since earlier in the week. I'm photo-shopping all that green out of your picture as we speak, Greg. :sneaky2:

No worries. As Bob said last year: "that just means 70% chance of not rain". We ended up drenched of course, but I almost think that just made us laugh that much harder.

See you tomorrow!

Larry

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.