Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the SAI mod is intended for 17" wheels, but I love the classic look of the 15" wheels on these cars. I have looked through the forums and see that some have done the SAI mod with 15" pin-drives, but was wondering if anyone had the 15" non-pindrive set up this way.

Just to re-cap, here is what I am lloking to run:
1. FFR Tubular arms front and rear with IRS in standard length
2. FFR Konis all around
3. Gordon Levy's street bump-steer kit
4. Whitby's/Borden's SAI Mod
5. SN95 spindles and stock brakes
6. FFR 15" Vintage wheels

If anyone knows that this works without clearance issues (or even with minor issues) I would be very grateful if you could let me know. I am trying to decide whether I can run the SAI mod so I can order it and keep making progress.

Thanks everyone.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
I believe I have seen a thread where someone was. Intuitively, 15" pin drive set up is the tighest, most limiting. I can not recall anything that works on that set up that DID NOT work on every other configuration. So my guess is yes, you can make it work with the same or less work/mods than needed for 15" pin drives.

One of the questions and I do not recall hearing anything definitively on this yet, is how much improvement does SAI give you on 15" wheels? The SAI mod was designed to correct the geometery of the 17" wheel set up. It is usuable on the 15" setup, but how much bang for the buck do you get? The 17" guys say it is night and day. Also, how much benefit is noticable seeing as using 15" wheels has so much sidewall flex (and less choice of performance rubber).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks KC.

I know the 15" sidewall flex will mitigate some of the benefit, but I was thinking this would give me a set-up where I could enjoy the look of the 15" wheels, but only be a quick wheel change away from better performance with the 17" wheels if I wanted to track or autocross the car. Basically, to be able to keep my options open. That picture of the blue roadster with the billboard tires on the bay on the FFR site is just too cool...

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Do check with Whitby Motors (supporting vendor). I am fairly certain that they have done a couple of standard width cars with 15 inch wheels.
Arch

1 - 4 of 4 Posts