Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nearly completed MKII has 17" Compromotive wheels on all four corners. My 8.8 rear-end has been narrowed and I'm currently running P315s with a little room to spare in the rear. I must run a 17" wheel up front because of my 13.5" front rotors. I think I'd like to run a 15" wheel in the rear for better traction and DESIRED tire options. Besides liking the look of a taller side-wall in the rear, my goal was to run a P335 tire which Nitto doesn't make for a 17" wheel in the 555R series. They do make a P325 for a 15" wheel though.
I'm wondering how a 15" wheel with a P325/50/15 tire would look in the rear with my current P245/35/17 tires on 17" wheels up front. Anyone running a similar combination with 15" wheels in the rear and larger wheels in the front?

Thanks,
-dan

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
Talk to Gordon Levy or Rich Oben. They are the gods of wheels and rubber. But from all my readings on here, the largest you can get is 295x15 unless you did some modifications (flare out the wheel wells, modify the frame, etc).

Good luck, post picks if you make it happen.

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wildcat,

Like I mentioned, I'm currently running 315's with a narrowed 8.8 rear. It looks as if I have the room for a little bit wider of a tire, so I'm thinking the 325's might be ok.

It would be great if someone had a picture of a Cobra with 15's in the rear and 17's up front (same style wheels of course).

-dan

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
The problem w/ the 325/50's is going to be their height. Even the guys w/ 295's (me included) get *some* rubbing at times. I don't see how you could get a 325/50-15 to fit unless you do frame/body mods.

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
Ditto what Wade said. Those will be way too tall. Get some drag radials in 17s. The 17 front with 15 rear would look odd in my opinion. We see a lot of street rods with 15 or 16 front with larger rear. The recent trend I have seen is 18s and 20s. I do not like the trend. HTH, Cheers Richard.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,665 Posts
Not sure if this would be a problem but, I would also worry about oversteer. The taller sidewall in the rear might be significantly softer and create some instability. It might be hard to balance out.

·
Charter Member
1,117 Posts
Dan, you need to slap these meats on her Hoosier DOT Drag Radials 335/35-17

I agree, the 15" rears w/17" fronts would look goofy. Can't wait to see the finished product! I'm going to the chassis dyno(Dynojet) in a month or so. Hope I can put down similar power to your monster. I'd love to see some recent pics if you have any. Good Luck!

Funny, they say "not intended for street use or use on public roads." May not be a good choice after all.

Eric

[ March 26, 2007, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Buckeye ]

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys. I wasn't sure how the combo would look either which is why I asked if anyone had tried it....guess not

I also appreciate the insight about the tire being too tall. The hoosiers are the right size for my 17" wheels, but I'd like to have a tire with a tread pattern. I'm either going to go with a set of 315 nittos or find another brand that makes a 325/17 or 335/17 with a tread. If nitto made a 335/17 I'd be in heaven. My Compromotives are 17X11.5 and the 315 Summimtos are not quite wide enough to "Just Right" altough, it does look decent. The "lip" of the wheel is prominent and I'd like to have a tire where the rubber rolls over the "lip" just a tad. I think the 325s or 335 would do this.

Thanks again for the input guys. I'm looking forward to posing graduation pictures sometime this year! The car is 98% complete. -dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.