Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up... I was browsing the hotrodsusa.com site, and found these distributors listed in their garage sale pages... Dont' know anything about them, but they sound like a pretty good deal. 302 or 351...

"Race Distributor with built in race module. This unit does not require a computer box. Features include CnC machined billet 6061T, upper ball bearing with lower bronze bushed, 4140 steel bottom gear for use with any camshaft, 1/2" inch hardened steel shaft for high RPM stability, high output magnetic pickup performance module and precession machined reflector, performance module and a compact design cap for installation with multiple carburators and blowers.

Recommended 50k volt coil HRI 5090021.

[ April 22, 2007, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: Oldguy668 ]

320 Posts
Just put one on my 427W, was a bit leery at first, but it performed very well.
I realy like the MSD systems, but bang for the buck, one wire hook up, they are hard to beat.
Just my 2 cents
Rick

·
FFCobra Fanatic
738 Posts
Rick,

A big bang - $399 vs $159!!!

Do you think this would a good buy for a 302 efi to carb swap? You say you have no problems with a 427W, therefore there shouldn't be any issues with a 302, right?

I'm curious, they seem to say that this will fit any car application. Is this possible?? One distributor fits all cars?

Bill

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
different sizes for different engines.. the 351 block is a bit taller. They offer 4 different distributors on the site if I remember correctly... Even one for a chevy!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
903 Posts
make sure you check them out.. last i saw performance distributers was the best price around and built one of the best DUI dists around for fords and chevys other than a plan HEI

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Looks like a quality piece and for the price almost can't go wrong. Be aware that this is not a one wire hook up like a GM stlye HEI ignition having coil in cap, but wires up the same as a conventional ignition would useing an external coil.

320 Posts
Hind Sight, you are right, I never went to the link, but just assumed they were selling the real HEI stand alone set up. This is the one I used. http://www.procompelectronics.com/Files/1.html

I am sure the other one is fine, but I like the idea of the stand alone single wire approach, if it can make enough fire power. @50k volts and only spinning 6500, plenty of power.
Rick

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Rick I use a cap in coil hei dist. Pertronix brand. Also like the one wire hook up and ease of tuning. Different dist. weights and springs are easily had plus the addition of an after market (accel) coil helps for anything over 5800rpm's. if useing a stock coil. Just needed to install a air filter spacer so air filter would clear my dist.

·
Senior Charter Member
344 Posts
I got my distributer from those folks. I have the one wire GM HEI type made for a Ford 302. It was real easy to instal. It does sit higher than a standard distributer. I had to custom make a carb space to fit my oval air cleaner.

Dave Mak

·
FFCobra Fanatic
738 Posts
Thanks for the replys. Went hunting some more. This one has the bult-in coil and 1 wire connect. I would think it more applicable than the link from ed. What do you think?

Bill

[ April 22, 2007, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: Oldguy668 ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Bill that is what I used.
Micheal if the coil needs replacing you just unscrew it from the cap. Two screws hold the coil in the top of the dist. cap. There is also a module under the cap along with a pick up coil that can also be replaced if ever going bad. Only one wire,the ignition supply needs to be pluged into the dist. Second wire if used is for the tach. Best part of useing these dist. aside from the hook up is parts replacement. Almost every GM car from mid 70's till late 80's used these so parts can be found at any auto store.

320 Posts
One more thing, if you would like the added benifits of having an MSD ignition, it will wire right up to this type of ignition as well.
Rick

·
FFCobra Fanatic
738 Posts
It seems too good to be true. Summit has the controller ($200), pro billit dist (~$270) and Blaster 2 coil (~$40) for a total of ~ $510 and this dist can replace all this at a cost of $110. A savings of $400. Am I right or did I fall off the boat.

The only thing I'd like would be to add a rev limiter but I can't seem to track anything down.

Rick and Hind Sight, thanks a lot. You guys seem to know your stuff. I'll be asking more questions later on if you guys are up to it!

Rick, I'm not sure I follow you. Why would I spend another $230 for an MSD ignition if everything I need can be had for $110?

Hind Sight, the one I linked to is a procomp. You said earlier in a post that you had a Pertronix. They are both very similar.

320 Posts
Bill, the advantages of adding the MSD are,1)You will get multiple spark pulses up to 3000 RPM, this gives you easier starts, crisper trottle responce, once your engine exceedes 3000 RPM the multiple spark portion is no longer effective and you simply rely on the output of your coil. 2)If you have a 6AL it also offers the benifits of a rev limiter, can be chipped to whatever RPM you want to govenor your engine to. This is a great benifit if you ever miss that shift with the skinny pedal down!
I ran mine on the dyno the other day with no MSD, just the HEI and the 50k volt coil, I have 11.5:1 CR, 427W and it ran just great up to 6500 where I stopped the pull.
This is the one I used, they may all use the same internals?
http://www.procompelectronics.com/Files/1.html
Hope this helps,
Rick

·
FFCobra Fanatic
738 Posts
Rick,

So the MSD 6AL is just an option. I may consider this later on. For now, the $110 HEI is all I need and a rev limiter add-on if I can find one, right??

Your link and my link are for the same HEI. For my driving, the RPM's under 3000, don't require an extra $230 outlay. I'll try to be careful with over revving if I can't find a suitable rev limiter add-on.

Bill

320 Posts
The MSD is nothing more than an add on, you do not need it to run good. When you mentioned the rev limiter, I thought the MSD might be a nice choice.
I dont know of any stand alone rev limiting devices that will work with a HEI system.
Please let me know if you do find something.
I will also be running less the MSD, if I add NOS, I may add one just to make sure!
Rick

·
Premium Member
10,474 Posts
This just sounds too good to be true. Think I'll have to get one.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.