Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
5,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved an unsolicited and snarky and sarcastic email about my body work post:
body work

From someone saying they had tried to talk me into a "Cobra351" and how it is so much better than the ffr and asking if I went FFR just for the warm and fuzzy feelings (??? :rolleyes: )given how much better and cheaper their offering is.

No idea who he is...but clearly he is confused about who I am....or the type of people I do business with. Can't find a company called Cobra351.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
He sounds like a jerk and acted like a jerk. Odds are he's a jerk. That's about as much thought as I'd give him.

·
Charter Member
1,777 Posts
Hey Chuck, never heard of any such thing either, maybe a little envy on his/her part showing?

Jim

·
Senior Charter Member
1,724 Posts
Post the email addy and we can ask him ourself!

JQ

·
15,282 Posts
Ping Grumpy. He mentions them several times in this thread, but never really gives the info that everyone wanted:
http://www.ffcars.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=40;t=005855
The guy knows a ton of details about originals and various replicas, so he might be able to shed light on who this is and what they're all about.

Here he is again, talking about what I assume to be the same crew:
http://www.ffcars.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=40;t=003822

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? :D

Cheers, John

·
Living Large
1,871 Posts
Interesting sales tactic... Insult a fellow who owns your competitors product and who has posted 2500 times to your competitors forum. I'm sure this tactic will stimulate dozens of new orders and may even convince the guy who has invested a thousand hours into his car to buy another brand... Idiots... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Grumpy (goes by that here and at CC) and his son(s) are COBRA 351. I've emailed with him a few times asking first about their FIA body and then a correct-looking trunk lid for my FFR. Both times I got prices and replies but no pics/website etc, so I passed.
They are probably on the up-and-up and it's a great idea, an original style frame and accurate body at an FFR price, I wish them sucess, but honestly nobody's gonna bite till they see some evidence.

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
I've noticed that, in the past, Grumpy has either implied or flat out stated that he has better products than other vendors (like tops and 289 bodies). However, I have never seen him reply publicly to questions or requests for more information. Absent such information, I would dismiss him and or his company as relevant to the industry.

·
Supermoderator
12,393 Posts
Don't expect anything out of Grumpy that you can understand without the secret decoder ring. He's got a knack for giving up just enough information to get you interested. That other thread mentioned above is a prime example. He mentions Cobra351 several times, like he's next door to them, but when asked for contact info he comes back with "I sent them your email". He has always made vague references to his fiberglass parts, but since he won't pay for an ad, Bill won't let him sell them on this forum. So, good luck trying to find out anything.

PS, I have a feeling I'm going to regret this post.....

·
Premium Member
10,832 Posts
No regrets here!

I have one time and one time only asked Grumpy for something he offered and did not receive a reply. He offered a CAD drawing a Cobra body which I would like to have, but my request apparently was denied. No explanation offered.

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
Maybe he's "Meat" with a new name

·
15,282 Posts
I've never met Grumpy, but I'll say this in his defense: When I was still shopping Cobra kits and options, he was helpful to me. We exchanged a couple of PM messages here, and I think we spoke on the phone once too. I did not make the connection that HE was Cobra351, if that is in fact the case, but he did mention offerings available in Texas other than FFR. His comments were constructive at the time - about a year ago now.

His profile says he's from Plantersville. I ran a MapQuest, and that's only about 70 miles from where I live in Houston. Maybe I'll take the Cobra up there some afternoon to check out his wares? Might be a fun trip!

Cheers, John

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
1 - 20 of 49 Posts