Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Big Kahuna
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy around here has a Trickflow Street Intake upper and lower for sale for $300.00. It is listed for $454 on Summitt's website. I wondered if this intake would work better and look nicer than the stock intake. I am not going to do any modifications to the long block, and plan on changing to MAF, and new injectors.

As a kid, I always remembered that headers and intake/carb were sure things for a horsepower boost.
Trickflow Street EFI

Have a great week everyone!

·
Big Kahuna
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is an awesome color Wayne. Thanks. The one this guy has is silver, and I think I will strip it and paint it black to match the valve covers.

·
FFR Cobra King
761 Posts
They flow much better than just about all intakes of this design and have much better fuel distribution. I have a 70mm throttle body with 30 lb. injectors and my motor really screams with the TrickFlow intake.

KC

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
If you have stock heads, you will NOT be happy with the results. I would say the price is a good bargain, but I would not put the intake on your motor with stock heads as-is.

Why?

The intake manifold itself is excellent and flows very well. The problem will be at the intake ports of the stock heads. They are much smaller than the port openings of the lower intake of the Trick Flow unit.

This mismatch causes the incoming air to slam into the protruding ridge of the stock head ports at the gasket, and the resulting turbulence kills flow. Performance will be worse than stock.

The solution is to have your stock heads port matched to the Trick Flow intake.

Once that's accomplished, the turbulence issue would be resolved, but be aware the stock heads only flow in the 160cfm range while the Trick Flow intake flows in the 240cfm range ( per runner respectively ).

In other words, you'll eliminate any restriction the stock intake was putting on your motor, but the heads flow so poorly they won't be able to take much advantage of the new intake.

AS for how I know about the port mismatch issue, it's because I been there done that!

I put GT40P heads on the motor to solve it.

Hope this helps

Steve

[ August 20, 2007, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Wurf ]

·
Junior Charter Member
68 Posts
Originally posted by Wurf:
If you have stock heads, you will NOT be happy with the results.
Steve, while the stock heads are not optimized for this manifold, you will see a gain if you use the street version. I can't speak for the track heat as I haven't used it. I did the street manifold on a stock head '93 with a 70mm TB and it made a noticeable difference. Better heads will obviously be able to take better advantage of the design, but it will make a gain.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Ok well....I notice a "gain" when I turn off the AC in my car too, which is about as much as I would expect with a Trick Flow intake on stock port E7TE.

I personaly wouldn't waste my time and money on the intake gasket kit this way. I'd buy the intake and sit on it ( not literaly ) until I could do it right.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Mine runs pretty good with one

·
Big Kahuna
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Wurf:
Ok well....I notice a "gain" when I turn off the AC in my car too
Ok Ok, NO FLAMING ON MY POSTS!!!!

Wurf, your point is very well taken. There is certainly something to be said for the lack of air movement capability of the stock 289/302 head.

My hope is that maybe some better heads will come up somewhere, and be in the 50% off range like the intake is.

KC, your point is also well taken. I do understand that some port matching will be needed, as well as helpful. I also think that there is some room to get a little better flow if I install a better profile cam.

But I was hoping to stay away from a bunch of engine mods, and stay close to stock. I may skip the TFS intake, and just go with stock and a conversion to MAF.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Bob

·
Charter Member
870 Posts
Just when I thought I was going to have something unique....
Congrads to all with my idea before me.

·
Charter Member
870 Posts

Yeah Baby,Going in Jan 2008.

·
Big Kahuna
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I am sold. TFS Street here I come.

Erik: OMG, you are borderline insane! That is one powerful looking hunk of iron. What does that pony put out?

Eric: Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. I will keep my eyes out for some Trickflow heads as well, but I am trying to keep the long block stock. My budget just does not have that kind of room right now.

Unless of course there are folks here in the computer industry that have a need/project/budget for a truly awesome Business Continuance/Disaster Recovery solution.... Especially with Hurricane Dean giving everyone in the Southeast and Gulf Coast a huge scare. (9th most powerful Hurricane in recorded history)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hey guys, just a thought. I have a mk-II with a 302 block with the Track Heat intake. It just clears the drivers foot box by about an inch at the rear. The street intake is about two inches longer than the track heat and I think you'll have to modify the sheet metal.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
7,022 Posts
I have the Trick Flow upper and lower intake with the matching Wedge heads and stage 1 cam.

I am looking into stroking my 302 to a 331 with 8.5:1 comprestion, running a vortech blower.
I called a few places and found that it is more money for pistons. They have to match the unique wedge heads design. Just something to think about....

John

·
FFCobra Fanatic
7,022 Posts
Originally posted by Cobra 302:
I have the Trick Flow upper and lower intake with the matching Wedge heads and stage 1 cam.

I am looking into stroking my 302 to a 331 with 8.5:1 comprestion, running a vortech blower.
I called a few places and found that it is more money for pistons. They have to match the unique wedge heads design. Just something to think about....

One more thing.

I called eagle rods, they are not making stroker kits to match those heads.
DSS still has them.....

John

·
FFCobra Fanatic
427 Posts
The Street and Track Heat manifolds are exactly the same size externally. The runner length difference is an internal difference only.

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
My 302 setup runs pretty good. It grenaded the bottom end after one year....now the D.S.S. block 9.5:1 compression. Here it is before the intercooler and pulley upgrade. No pics didn't happen right....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts