Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used Maaco paint shop or similar production quality paint shop? Call me cheap, but mine is to be a driver, not a show car. Thus the paint budget is $2k or less. I understand that they use Sherwin Williams urethane paint with clear coat for their $999 paint job. Extra for sealing primer, painting inside of doors, underside of hood and trunk, and stripes. I'm doing the body work myself.

·
Junior Charter Member
68 Posts
I have never used them, but a couple of people I know who have have given me vastly different opinions. One said that his paint came out pretty good, but he did all his body work AND his prep work. The other guy did not and he was not happy at all with the work. I saw it and it was pretty shabby. Not unfixable, but not good. If you do all your prep and body work, you may come out looking all right, but don't expect miracles. One thing you may want to consider is having Maaco do the paint and clear, and having another shop do a color sand and buff later on. That can make most paint look stellar.

·
Charter Member
858 Posts
I have used my local Macco twice with much success! The first time They re-painted my Jeep that had early 90s paint fade issues. The second time was a door & quarter-panel fix & paint. They did a good job on both.

I must say I have no experience with their high end paint jobs. I plan on bring my Cobra to a high end rod painter - Jeff Miller!

Good Luck!
Rich

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
I've had them paint a few things. Not bad, but you get what you pay for.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
A friend of my sons had his jeep painted at MAACO. Junk Junk Junk! They didn't mask off anything. They painted the chrome trim, they painted the rubber gaskets on the windshield, they painted the radiator, they painted the tires. Did I mention JUNK!!! They advertise a $299 Presidential special. A good quality primer cost more than that for the car. No Prep. Did I mention JUNK?!!!!

You would be better off buying a $5.00 water hose, hooking it up to a compressor and spraying the paint yourself. I think MAACO is Junk!

You might get something that looks good from 20 feet away but talk to those people after the paint has been on for a year. JUNK!

What is your cobra worth? The paint is the first thing people see. Do you want them to think Junk? Ask a local body shop. It's likely that if you do the body work like you would have to do before a MAACO paint job you will spend betweem $2000 and $3000. That is a bare bones basic paint job with labor. Still much more economical than a MAACO paint job. That will have to be re-done every year or two. What kind of warranty do they have on fiberglass? Did I mention JUNK!?

Other than that, I don't think MAACO is that bad.

Mike M.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
I don't agree with Mike and think the first post has all the keys. The guy who I bought my donor from worked at the restoration shop next door to me. He came there from Maaco and from what he told me, Maaco gets guys who do body work and other guys who only spray. The sprayers get really, really good at spraying but because they're never taught the bodywork, are not marketable at other body shops and thus can be paid less by Maaco. Bring in a truely fully prepped car, tape it yourself in the parking lot and roll it in and you can end up with a $6k paint job for $1k.

But if you expet anything from them. Taping, sanding, prep of any kind, you will be unhappy.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Mike certainly likes to use the "J" word..............

·
Registered
207 Posts
A friend had his car painted by them. He did all the prep work and masking (which is 99% of a paint job)and it came out awesome. He has even placed 1st in a car show. The spraying of the paint is the easy part. Everything before that is where the work occurs.

·
289 Posts
I used maaco years ago on a porsche 924 I was fixing up. The paint was glossy. Yeah, a few places had orange peel and there was some overspray on the wheels but for $300 I couldn't complain. If my body work had been better, and I did some wet sanding after, it would have looked as good as any paint job. I don't know how well it held up because I sold it soon after.
My recommendation: Only use Maaco if you are confident your body work is perfect and you are willing to do some wet sanding after. Oh, and only bring them the body so you don't have to worry about overspray.

Good luck.

JL

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
No personal experience but I have heard that the quality varies with the guy spraying.

Why not go down to Maaco and check out some of their work, talk to the painters, etc. My painter thought it was pretty cool that he was painting a Cobra. I'm sure yours will too so he might put a little more pride in the job.

You definitely want to take the body on a body buck and make a stand to hold the panels. Stripes might be an issue for them because taping can take a long time to get it right.

·
Still broke & dreaming...
2,205 Posts
I know of a Cobra that was painted at Maaco. Maybe the owner will pop in here and share his thoughts...

BTW...his car looks great!

·
2,746 Posts
I agree with Mike.

Chris.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,920 Posts
My car was painted by Maaco. I did all the body work and they received the body on a buck, so no masking involved. They primed it with urethane primer, baked it and block sanded it to see if my bodywork was going to fall off. Then they did 3 coats af color, 3 coats of clear, wet sand and buff for $1600. After I bounced off a tree a couple of winters ago, I got to do another body with more bodywork. The did the same job on the body only for $1100. I have no complaints. I took it to a track day in New Hampster today and got a ton of compliments on the paint job. My car is a daily driver (and sometimes racecar) and I would go nuts if a car or truck kicked up a stone on an $8000 paint job. Here's a picture before the tree incident. The body is slightly darker now.

·
3,798 Posts
GoMarlins had his roadster painted at a local MAACO, and most people think that he is jokeing when he tells them. The car was painted a solid blue, no metal flake or stripes. I have seen the car many times and for the money, its hard to beat.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
I have used them once...you get what you pay for. If I had to settle for them, I would just try it myself....you know you can always sand it flat and reshoot it again if you mess up. The key to any paint job is the bodywork.

Just my opinion

·
4,318 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
So much depends on the Maco shop itself. Some have good painters,some kids out of high school.
Check around a few shops and see their work. As long as you do all and I mean all the prep work. Might get a decend job. Just need to find the right shop that has good painter. Good luck.

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
You could do what I did, and hire a known, local guy to come paint it in your garage. I did all the body work, shot all the Featherfill, and paid the painter $1500 to come shoot the primer, sealer, base, and clear. That $1500 included all the materials (he brought his own gun, sealer, base, clear, polishing compounds, sandpaper, and wheels). The base alone is nearly $750, so in the end, he wasn't paid more than probably $500 for labor. He made 3 or 4 trips to my house. He then came back after I wetsanded, and polished the whole car. Show quality? Absolutely not, not in my garage. But I do get tons of compliments on it, and my total outlay was $2000, and I had to buy a $400 ginormous compressor in the process.

Looking back on it, there's wasn't really any more to shooting the base and clear than there was in the Featherfill. Had I shot it myself, it likely would've taken a bit more colorsanding to get rid of orangepeel and overspray, but it would still look pretty good.

·
Rapscallion
1,969 Posts
I think Mr. Mustang just bought a MAACO. You may want to chat with him. Don't know if he posts here anymore but he is over at clubcobra.com

Roscoe

·
Banned
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the insight and experiences guys. I am still doing the body work, lots of sanding, filling, sanding some more, etc. Guess I'll shop around some more, but so far Maaco is the only place around that will paint an entire car for a reasonable price. All the regular body shops in town only do insurance work now.

I definately plan to only take them the body on a body buck so overspray and masking will be minimal. When the body was still on the car, I marked the centers by drilling a small divet in places that will not be seen to help align the stripes later.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts