Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some issues with Direct TV (being charged for movies we are NOT getting), and I am strongly considering dropping them. Also, DISH is running a special (no charge) for the HD converter, which I could use with my HD tv. Direct TV wants $600 for the HD converter for an existing customer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Senior Charter Member
490 Posts
TommyD,

We have Dish down here in SC. I like it except when the cloud cover is really thick and it is raining. If the cloud cover is thin and it rains, no problem. I liked the flexibility as well. I have a 4 1/2 year old and we are a church going family and didn't want any movie channels, so I was able to get the basic package with local channels for $35 a month. Not a bad deal.

Tim

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Tim.

Yeah, the weather sometimes messes with this Direct TV system also, but it is actually quite rare.

I guess I'm looking for satisfied customers of "DISH"......

Thanks

·
Super 7 Addict
717 Posts
Both directv and dish are switching formats to mpeg4 by 2007.

This will require all new hardware.

·
Senior Charter Member
380 Posts
Originally posted by AJ Bertelson:
Both directv and dish are switching formats to mpeg4 by 2007.

This will require all new hardware.
AJ ... Can you explain this a little more. I'm getting ready to buy my Mom a new TV and she has DISH Network. I don't want to buy a new "outdated" TV.

Thanks...

As stated above, my Mom has DISH network and it has been working well for her. She got a good deal on the installation and has been happy with the service

Thanks....

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I've had Dish network for 8 years and love it. They've raised their rates twice since I've had them; each time they raised it $1.00. The quality of reception is always excellent, the billing has always been accurate.

The local cable company, on the other hand, seems to raise their rates weekly. When we had cable, they literally raised their rates 50% within 3 years. That's when we switched to Dish.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
We had it and it provided really good reception except during bad thunderstorms. We had to get rid of it because a tree grew into the path of the dish and we couldn't locate it anywhere else since our house is surrounded by big trees.

Overall the service was very good and the customer service was great.

I liked DISH's pricing structure better than Direct TV. Direct sold packages, DISH allowed you to buy individual channels - at least they did a few years ago.

·
Justa Member
1,225 Posts
Switched to Dish a few years back after getting p****d off at cox cable. Stayed with Dish for about 3 years....very happy. Then switched back to cox for the DSL connection...I forgot how crappy cox was...I am now planning on switching back to Dish...do it, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tommy D,

I HAD been a DirecTV customer until this past November. I switched to Dish and it has been painless. The big difference is DirecTV customers have to buy their equipment, Dish customers get their equipment supplied for free. If anything goes wrong with your new equipment, it is simply a service call and they replace it. They had a deal going on before Christmas that included four receivers in four rooms for about $50.00 with a $50.00 rebate...so, a net $0.I hope that this helps. I live in Frisco, so you may be able to find something similar.

·
Super 7 Addict
717 Posts
Both satellite providers are switching to a different format for High definition. They will be turning off the MPEG-2 receivers(current receivers) when they turn on MPEG-4 from what I have gathered listening to the tivo people who purchased the HD receivers.

Directv will most likely give refunds or upgrades at reduced costs, not certain about dish.

·
Senior Charter Member
355 Posts
I just signed up with DISH Network about 6 months ago. We built a new house and they prewired 4 locations during construction for free. They did "ask" that I stay with them for 1 year, but I didn't have to sign anything committing to that.
Reception has been great with no interruptions in service. Even during a heavy ice storm a couple of weeks ago.

Chris :cool:

·
Senior Charter Member
1,724 Posts
I had DirecTV at the beginning and changed a few years ago to DISH Network and haven't looked back. Number 1 customer service.

No problems......

JQ

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have DISH and love it. I highly recommend the DVR system which you can record movies and TV shows digitally, the system is similar to TIVO. After having the system, I would never again go back to regular television.

·
Feng Shui Master
1,224 Posts
I have had a few DISH systems for at least 10 years. So far no problems. Most of the time we have perfectly normal service. two or three times a year, in really crappy weather, we get drop outs. No better or worse than in Colorado where we also have the same system. We have even used a system at a hunting lease,(quasi-portable). I do not like the cable company at all for television, but I use a cable modem.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
436 Posts
Dish is the potential beneficiary of the dying Voom service which was just sold to EchoStar for $200M week before last. That's less than the cost of one of their satellites alone... not including launch and valet service in space.

Voom is known for their abundance of HD programming, but criticized for recycling their actual content a little too often. I cannot call that a real complaint because Comcast's inHD channels and Discovery HD Theater do the same thing. There just isn't a shedload of HD original stuff just yet.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, not one complaint, other than the twice a year "drop outs" due to weather.

Thanks, guys. That's just the type of info I was looking for....

td

·
Charter Member
601 Posts
Switched to Dish network from cable and dont plan to ever go back, been 2 years now. Not to mention i took one of the recievers up to my place up north, installed a dish and get all the channels at both places for 1 bill. Picture is better, online guide is great.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
617 Posts
I've been with Dish Network for 4 years and don't plan on changing. They have some of the best customer service I've ever come across.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CobraEarl,

Try this link:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/

I am having problems with DirectTV billing me for movies I have not ordered.......and I can't seem to get it resolved.

Also, DISH is offering HD receiver at no charge (DirectTV wants $300). They are also offering up to 4 rooms installed free.

Normally, you have to buy at least part of the equipment with DirtectTV. With DISH you lease the equipment. However, comparing their prices the Dish is actually $5.00 less per month, even with the required HDTV package to go with the HD monitor. I'm switching to DISH, considering all the good comments above.

td

1 - 20 of 23 Posts