Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
Was wondering if anyone has an Engine Factory 302/373HP or a 351W/400HP in their car and how satisfied you are with it. I plan on driving it a lot, probably 6000 miles a year. Is it a good comfortable daily driver?

I am planning on running A/C, manual steering, and stock 5-speed.

Thanks for your input.
Beef

·
Premium Member
10,472 Posts
Brian F. has the 351 in his car (pretty sure he got it from EF). I'm sure he'll pipe in.
Seems to be pretty happy with it. I can tell you, it runs real STRONG!!

·
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ordering my kit this month thanks to the sale and have everything but the engine. Was going to go modular, but bought all the doner parts from a guy here in Texas that bought an entire car and parts after tearing down a 89 convert. Only missing piece is the motor.
Thanks for the words.
Beef

·
Premium Member
10,472 Posts
You might consider a late model 5.0 Explorer engine. Low mile, low cost, not a lot to do to it.
That's what I'm using, $350 for the engine, and about $1500 to set it up for carb. You can keep the Explorer EFI, it's supposed to be very similiar to the Cobra intake set up.

·
Junior Charter Member
62 Posts
EF 351W here too. A great daily driver. I'm doing approx. 2000 miles/month and having to much fun. Pity winter is coming.

·
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys,
Was leaning toward the 351W, guess my minds made up.
Thanks
Beef

·
Junior Charter Member
1,506 Posts
I have my 351w on order with them now. Should have it the week after Thanksgiving. I went with the 435hp version.

Mike

·
5,470 Posts
I have the EF 351w and love it. Started up immediately and have had no problems. Also, great support from EF. My air filter was damaged during shipment and they immediately shipped me a new one no questions. The finish (color and such) is also top notch. There is minor adjusting that you will have to do with the carb, but that's just standard stuff. As Doug (stinson) said, it runs real strong. After 2,600 miles, I am yet to fully master the power as 1st 2nd and most of 3rd can barely handle a majority of the throttle. RPM range is a little low (6,000 max), but it's got nice torque.

·
Cobra Padawan
272 Posts
I'm also thinking about the 351 from EF. I'm looking to build a daily driver that wouldn't mind shutting the local corvettes down when the cops aren't looking. Mind you, I'd NEVER do such a thing, but in case Osama ever pulls up beside me in a 'vette and tries to make a run for it, I'd hate to be unprepared. I would guess at 2200 lbs and 435hp, I'd be able to do it.

BTW, did you 351 guys go with a donor tranny or a tremec?

·
Banned
468 Posts
Originally posted by Captain Gourley:
I'm also thinking about the 351 from EF. I'm looking to build a daily driver that wouldn't mind shutting the local corvettes down when the cops aren't looking. Mind you, I'd NEVER do such a thing, but in case Osama ever pulls up beside me in a 'vette and tries to make a run for it, I'd hate to be unprepared. I would guess at 2200 lbs and 435hp, I'd be able to do it.

BTW, did you 351 guys go with a donor tranny or a tremec?
I think you'd be able to do a better job of it w/ 550-600hp....but that's just me :D

·
Cobra Padawan
272 Posts
I don't think Osama would stand a chance against me in a VIPER if I had 450. At 550, I don't know if I could even control it.

On that note, at 435 hp how are you guys keeping it on the road without power steering? And what tranny are you using?

·
Junior Charter Member
1,335 Posts
I also have the 351w from EF. Great support and great product. The motor is super strong and as as someone else said you can't keep the car hooked up with the pedal all the way down.(Gets a little squirely at about half to 3/4 throttle.) I have been very happy. Mine is attached to a stock T-5. The tires will break loose before you hurt the trans...imho.
Gerry

·
Junior Charter Member
29 Posts
I've got a carbed 351 from them, but still in the middle of the build so not much to tell. Was nice to hear the others comments and I'm looking forward to gettin on the road.

One comment - I went with a lakewood bellhousing and man is the a PITA. Wouldn't do that again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts