Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Charter Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the car out for my first test ride 'round the block, everything looked and felt great except no speedo. I'm running AutoMeter Cobra gauges with reverse reading speedo with the reverser gearbox. I Took the cable out to see what was up, and the tip of the cable was twisted off inside the reverser :mad: After I looked at it for a while it turns out the gear for the reverser was on the wrong side. I know now you can switch them ("S" side for "standard", "O" for "opposite"). Anyhow if anyone went with electric or has one laying around and wants to part with their cable, let me know what you want for it.

Ron

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
The local parts store will carry a pioneer brand generic cable for a Ford truck or something like that. I use the 60 in variety and it fits well. Hope this helps. Cheers Richard.

·
Senior Charter Member
405 Posts
Ron be very careful. I ran into the same problem with with the same reversing gear and broke my plastic tipped stock speedo cable. I don't believe that running in reverse is the problem, although mine was doing the same.

The problem is in the removaable steel shaft that inputs to the speedo. It has a bronze bushing in the middle that binds up when you torque the whole thing together. When you tried turning the gear it wouldn't give and broke your tip. The solution is to hammer out the bushing and use the steel piece without it. I have been working with AM on this same issue and they couldn't figure it out. They might reimburse me for the 45 I spent on a new cable from Mike Mack.

Dave

·
Charter Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,
Richard, I'll try the local auto parts, but I don't have much faith in them. There is always the junk yard and the Ford dealer. David, I think the bushing might be a separate but related issue. When you look at the speedo cable end and roll the rear wheels, cable turns clock wise (CW). When the cable was first assembled to the reverser, input to the gauge is CW still, the gauge needs a CCW (looking at the face) input. I swaped the input on the reverser from one side to the other and viola, CCW! My cable did break just as you described it. Maybe I'm missing something though. I wonder which direction the bushing shoulder is supposed to face, as putting it in backwards could cause binding. Do you have a contact at AutoMeter? I never got instructions with the unit, not that I would have used them, it's un-American :D

Ron

·
Senior Charter Member
405 Posts
Ron, I had to do the same thing to reverse the gear, not a problem, just a head scratcher.

The bushing is the problem, and it doesn't matter which direction you try as I did both ways. I spent some time on the phone with AM and they couldn't figure it out, but as I looked at it, I believed that the bushing was binding. I drove it off the shaft, put the thing together, tightened it all down, and no more bind. I now have 50 miles on it with no problems. We'll see.

You do not need a new cable to test it out. Assemble the reverse gear to the speedo, tighten it all down, and you will see that if you try to turn it on the input side it will be bound up. Your speedo tried to turn it, bound up, and the plastic tip gave way.

Gaylyn (lady) is my contact. Call AM (number on the box) and ask for her. Tell her I solved the problem by removing the bushing.

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts