Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a set of 355's for my IRS and wondered where to find some good instructions on how to change with specifications on depth, backlash and such. Thanks.

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
Here are the best instructions I could find:

If you have never done it before, take it to someone who has!!!!!

Seriously, I wouldn't even think about rebuilding a tranny and 2nd on my list is setting up the diff. If not done right, you will be spending lots of
I feel much more comfortable rebuilding an engine than rebuilding a rear. Goofy but that's just me I guess.

Just my .02

·
STACKED Senior Charter Member
592 Posts
Tim get it done by someone who has the tools I did mine BUT I am a super genius :D !! I get a little whine when in overdrive and just putting along otherwise its fine

·
Junior Charter Member
1,991 Posts
If you want really detailed instructions, I was recommended this video/DVD:

Ken Collins rebuild video

He also sells them on ebay every once in a while. Not exactely cheap but would help a lot I guess.

Ebay auction

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave,

LOL !!!! Since we painted our cars the same color, I should be able to do it then, huh ? I was smart enough to get the paint code from ya .... :D Actualy, in addition to being a Vibration Analalyst Supreme, I worked on gas turbines for about 20 years so I might make a stab at it. If I get the chance, I'll try to make it back there and we can "whine" down the highway together on a run somewhere. ;) :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Tim
It's not so much the difficulty , but the "feel"..
There's a certain amount of subjectivity to doing a "pumpkin" , and a video doesn't give you the tricks that come with experience....You can really screw things up if you don't do it just right...spend the $200 , and get it done by a pro...(Just my 02 cents).

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,918 Posts
i say try it. The people who are telling you not to most likely have never done it themselves. I did it my 1st time and it took me 1hr in the car. If you use genuine ford motorsport gears and buy the install kit you shouldnt have to measure anything other then shim thickness. You will need a hydraulic press, a micrometer or caliper to measure shims, an impact wrench and an inch/pound torque wrench for tightening the pinion nut.

The motorsport gears are all marked as to what shims to use and 99% if the time that is correct. Pull out your old gears and look at the markings on them, then measure the shims in there. Sure enough they will match. Then look at the new gears markings, add/subtract shims to adjust for the difference and put it back together. No other measuring.

Dont believe me? I know of a performance shop in the area that does about 12-20 of these a week that way and has been for years, no problems..

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
Originally posted by stang8s:
i say try it. The people who are telling you not to most likely have never done it themselves.
I have no problem with statement, but I will quote a very wise man (Dirty Harry, that is) who once said "A man has got to know his limitations."

I can go and tell people that I built this car from the ground up even though I did not assemble the tranny piece by piece. Or that I had a reputable race engine builder put together my long block (even though I have rebuilt more than a dozen motors before) and that I had a rear end company build my 8.8. The bottom line is do what you feel comfortable with. There are plenty of challenges with this build that will stretch your talents to new levels. If you decide to take on the rear and succeed, Good for you. If however, you do attempt and fail, you will have additional bills and headaches on your hands. With that being said, we could start a whole new thread on this topic and say "Well why even build with that attitude?" I would answer that Q' by referring back to my guy Detective Callohan.

Do what you feel is within your grasp. No harm in that.

There is another avenue; find someone who has done this, has access to the necessary tools and do it together. It will be a learning experience for you and another notch in your build belt.

Good luck.

·
STACKED Senior Charter Member
592 Posts
I never considered the Black Rose connection.This is of course proof that you can do it yourself have at it BRB :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts